Chapter 121

Those correspondences soon appeared on Emperor Cheng Kang's desk, documenting Yu Pin Yan's conspiracy with the Second Prince of the Western Barbarians to exchange two cities for high-quality war horses and superior weapons, which would be used to force the Emperor to abdicate.

Yu Pin Yan lost two cities in this battle, namely Wulan Province and Feng Xing City, as agreed in the letter. Even if Yu Pin Yan had been hunted down by the Second Prince of Western Barbarians and his life and death was unknown, the correspondences would have been leaked to the public. Subsequently, those who had the intention could fabricate a story that he went to 'strip off the tiger's skin,[1] but instead, fell in love with the tiger'. In any case, he was no longer alive, and with no proof of his death, any kind of dirty water could be thrown on his head.

While the real traitor who was, in actual fact, collaborating with the enemy was hidden in the shadows and manipulating the entire situation. Not only had he infiltrated the Dragon Scale Guards, the Imperial Hospital, the Forbidden Palace, Marquis Yongle manor, but he also possessed contacts within the army. Otherwise, Yu Pin Yan's galiantry would never have been easily defeated at the hands of the Second Prince, who was a novice in the battlefield.

After reading the secret correspondences, Emperor Cheng Kang's face was surprisingly ugly, and the killing intent permeated from his body could clearly be seen. Ao Ping thought his plan was successful, thus he buried his head and waited for his next order.

After a long silence, Emperor Cheng Kang beckoned and said, "Take people to search the Crown Prince manor. Other than the Crown Prince and the young imperial grandsons, if the rest of the people resist, they will be killed!"

Ao Ping accepted the orders with a bow.

Emperor Cheng Kang had to admit that this person in the shadows was as capable as, if not more, the Crown Prince. But so what? The more exceptional he was, the more Emperor Cheng Kang would have to put him to death.

  ------

Regardless of how matters were changing rapidly and unpredictably in the capital, Yu Pin Yan was experiencing the greatest calamity in his life far away from the capital. He was hit in the back by an arrow, but the arrow struck in his bone and thankfully missed his heart. However, he had been immersed in the cold water for a long time, and after going ashore, he had been fleeing for his life for five days. If the arrow was not removed, his body would develop rust poisoning and he would die from high fever.

But the arrow was too close to his heart, and it could injure the heart if it was carelessly removed. He could die from too much blood lost, unless he could escape as soon as possible and find a doctor who was highly skilled in medicine.

Right now, Yu Pin Yan and his two lieutenants were hiding in a cave, taking a short rest. The lower stream of the Wu River was the barbarian's territory, and getting to shore would definitely cause them to die. So Yu Pin Yan, with the help of his two lieutenants, swam desperately to the shore and headed upstream.

Along the way, it wasn't that they did not encounter the Han army's soldiers searching and rescuing, but they kept their distance. The battle should not have suffered such a major defeat. The central army led by Yu Pin Yan did not receive reinforcement from the right flank. Moreover, the left flank arrived in time, but united with the Western Barbarians to besiege the central army. They were all killed without leaving a single man behind. There were countless casualties.

At this juncture, how could Yu Pin Yan fail to have guessed that the army had defected to the enemy? Therefore, he did not trust anyone and only took the only two surviving subordinates to the dense forest to avoid the search and rescue party.