Chapter 26

Ever since Yu Xiang was startled awake from her nightmare and knelt in the Buddhist hall for a day and a night, the Old Madam felt that life had started to become more difficult. Every day, from the moment she opened her eyes, she would ask whether there were any war reports sent to the capital from the North West battlefield, and whether the Marquis had sent any message.

They could do nothing except to shake their heads.  

The Old Madam would then turn to ask Yu Xiang what dream she had. Yu Xiang would just press her chest and cry that she was in pain. Her miserable expression made the Old Madam question whether it was true or not, but she just had to give up and hurriedly summoned a physician.

Just like this, half a month had gone by. Finally, the Old Madam's attention was occupied with by another matter--Master Ku Hai, a monk from Zhenguo Temple, returned from his journey and placed a Chien Tung[1] for people who were brought together by fate. And in at least three to five days and at most ten days, he would sail back to Country Tian Zhu to improve his spiritual cultivation.

Speaking of Master Ku Hai, he was the most legendary figure in the Han Dynasty. Seventy years ago, the founding emperor, Emperor Sheng Zu, was just a small Marquis in one of the thousands of households. He was lucky enough to draw the 'Emperor stick' of Master Ku Hai in Guang Ji temple and had a conversation with him. Before he left, Master Ku Hai presented him with a piece of wild grass, which had two sentences stating "dragon travels in the nine heavens and the five continents under the earth are the same."

This poem wasn't very good, but the words were auspicious. Emperor Sheng Zu mounted it and hung it in in his room until the day of his ascension to the throne, then he understood. This was the consultation he had where he had earnestly asked for the meaning, yet Master Ku Hai didn't want to tell him--Ninth-five plan[2], the most respected of the land under heaven. No one would have thought that a small household Marquis would become the master of the vast land after a few years.

After that, the Guang Ji temple was renamed to Zheng Guo Temple by the Emperor's edict. Master Ku Hai's Chien Tung became an object of worship in the Han Dynasty. Since then, seventy years have passed, Master Ku Hai's appearance was still the same, it seemed that time had forgotten to age him.

Because of all this, his status became more unapproachable and more desirable.

Once the Old Madam received this news, she immediately sent someone to prepare the carriage to head to the Zheng Guo temple.

"Let the maidservant put on more clothes for Xiang'er. Don't let her catch a cold on the way there." She uneasily urged.

Ma Momo stood on the porch and looked up at the sky. She hesitatingly said, "Old Madam, it's raining cats and dogs outside. The road is muddy and hard to walk. It's better to go another day."

"We have to rush over to attend the opening ceremony of the altar. Otherwise, we won't be able to squeeze into it when people start to go visit in a few days. Today, the Crown Princess would definitely be going there. We can take advantage of this." The Old Madam beckoned her.

Ma Momo had no choice, so she ran to the west chamber in the heavy rain and asked Yu Xiang to prepare quickly. It was also strange, the torrential rain that was so powerful as if it wished to pour out all the water for nine days, Yu Xiang who had just recently recovered straightened up and looked out of the door, the rain stopped. Rays of golden sunlight pierced through the layers of clouds and shone down her head, her originally pale face was even more pure and holy, and the dust particles floating around her added a bit of liveliness to her.

Ma Momo stood there staring at her blankly for a long time, until Yu Xiang strangely raised her eyebrow at her. Then, she hurriedly pushed her out.

When they arrived at Zhengguo Temple, they saw the Crown Princess's carriage had stopped outside the temple with many imperial bodyguards armed with swords and halberds patrolling around. Whenever the guards saw idle people, they went to dismiss them.