Chapter 61

Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi stayed up all night. When they finally finished checking through the account book the next morning, they could not even find a faint trace of mistake, let alone loopholes.

Yu Xiang's account books were so detailed that the margin of errors were calculated to within a millimeter. Not to mention Lin Shi, even the Old Madam, who had raised Yu Pin Yan, and taken care of the Marquis manor all by herself, were not as good as her.

If her legs were in a good condition, she would have been an astonishingly beautiful and talented figure.

Lin Shi's self confidence vanished by the time she finished checking through the ledger, and she almost opened her mouth to return the management of food and kitchen when the Old Madam came over to drive her out. If she lost to a fourteen year old girl, then she wouldn't need this face[1] of hers.

However, Yu Miao Qi held her back and firmly tugged her hand to hint at her not to renege on her promise. After bidding farewell to the Old Madam, both of them returned to the main room with haggard faces.

The first thing Lin Shi did was to burn three incense sticks to the tablet placed in the hall, and then knelt down and muttered. It was unknown what was being said but her facial expression looked like she was in extreme pain.

Yu Miao Qi held her forehead and closed her eyes to rest, and when she finished reciting, she asked, "Mother, are you trying to shirk your responsibility again? Is it because you don't want to be in charge of the manor anymore?"

"I .. I can't be in charge. I'll be letting Yan'er and Jun Jie down..." Lin Shi said and started wiping her tears again.   

When she herself cried, she didn't feel much about it. But when she saw Lin Shi cry, Yu Miao Qi felt inexplicably annoyed. She suppressed her annoyance and comforted, "Mother, you and father shared a profound affection for one another, and it's inevitable that you will grieve for his loss. In the Yellow Spring[2], he would only be touched when he knew what was going on, why would he criticise you? If you genuinely feel that you let him down, you should become stronger and manage this family well. I have to get married someday. What will I do without you to help me? You are the only person I can count on in this Marquis manor."

She knelt down beside Lin Shi and said seriously, "Mother, don't be afraid. I will help you."

Lin Shi was immensely touched and nodded as she wiped her tears, then she urged her daughter to hurry back to her room and have a rest.

Yu Miao Qi took her leave and slowly entered the side room. But instead of going to sleep right away, she summoned Jin Momo to ask about the situation in the Marquis manor, especially about how Yu Xiang was running the household and refused to disclose any minor details.

Jin Momo brought a thick book of family rules for her to read through, and she stood next to her to explain them in detail. She knew in her heart that Lin Shi was unreliable, and in the future, she had to rely on the Second Young Miss, who had a strong personality.

"These 108 house rules are all personally hand-written by Third Young Miss. Every servant in the manor is required to memorize them and subjected to random checks. If one doesn't remember the rules, their salary would be deducted. Look at this, she even raised the monthly salary of a servant, who is in charge of disposal of night soil, beating the night watch, and washing clothes and so on, to an equivalent salary of a third-rank maidservant. What a squanderer! She also organised all the servants into groups and elected a team leader for each group. The team leaders would supervise their group members, where if one makes more than three mistakes, their monthly salary would be deducted and if more than five mistakes were made, regardless of whether they are born in the manor or had signed a living contract, they would all be kicked out of the manor. There's also a bimonthly rotation of people in charge of purchasing. Before one is even familiarised with the job, one would have to pass over to someone else. So what great things can one achieve? Having the servants have a holiday roster of taking two days off every seven days, wouldn't there be no one left when the master needs attending to..."