Chapter 37

After thorough investigation, that maid was called Cai Qi, formerly known as Shen Miao Qi. She was the first ranking head maidservant of Zhao Minhui, the eldest daughter of Zhao An Shun. He was the magistrate of Yun Zhou who came to the capital to report on his work. Yun Zhou was located in the extreme south of Lingnan[1]. The air in Yun Zhou was filled with malaria and inconvenient transportation. It was notorious for its inhospitable natural environment and unruly people. It was not easy to be a magistrate there, and most of the magistrates were children from poor and humble families who had no backing, or unlucky people who had offended the rich and powerful people.

Not only did Zhao An Shun come from a poor and humble family, but he had also offended many of his colleagues with his straightforward personality. Seeing that he could no longer be able to work in the capital, he had no choice but to apply to be appointed to a post outside the capital. But as he had no one to help him mediate, in the end he was sent to Yunzhou where he stayed for more than ten years.

The Dragon Scale guards checked him over and over again and found nothing suspicious but they found something wrong with the charcoal. It turns out that all of the charcoal piled in the corner had been soaked in a liquid medicine made of safflower, peach kernel, musk, Cyathula officinalis and other herbs that were mixed together and concocted. When it was burned in the fire, the medicinal properties were emitted out.

Safflower and other substances were harmful to the fetus. After undergoing special processing and curing, it could be called Tiger Wolf Medicine[2]. Every family and household came to add charcoal, the smell of the smoke had already filled in the temple's air for a long time but the Crown Princess was far away from it. The female physician did not notice it because the smell of smoke was not as strong as before.

There were several other pregnant women in the temple who also suffered symptoms of miscarriage, like the Crown Princess that night.

Yu Pin Yan took the dossier and read it over repeatedly. In the end, he summoned a few of his best subordinates and ordered them to follow the two clues: charcoal and herbal medicine. The amount of medicine required was enormous for several hundred catties of charcoal to be soaked. No matter how well concealed it was, there would always be traces left behind. Moreover, several suspects had been captured at the purchasing stage.

He left the last two men and ordered them to investigate Shen Miao Qi. Aside from her life experience from childhood to adulthood, even the few grains of rice and the few mouthfuls of water every day had to be truthfully reported.

When all of them had left, he showed a gloomy and anxious expression.

Finding his biological younger sister also meant finding Xianger's family. When things got out of hand, Xiang'er was bound to distance herself from him and might even leave the Marquis manor and follow them to Lingnan.

Because of this concern, Yu Pin Yan wasn't keen on finding his blood related younger sister. He had only sent out trustworthy household servants instead of the omnipotent Dragon Scale guards. When Lin Shi urged him, he would ask about it. Other than that, he would not think about it. Otherwise, with his ability as a commander, how was it possible for him to spend four years looking for her to no avail? Other than that, he didn't care about his relatives[3], how could a younger sister that he had never met before be compared to Xiang'er, who he was interdependent with? It was fine if she was found. But if she wasn't found, then he would just keep dragging it since he didn't care.

However, he didn't look for her but the heavens spontaneously sent her to his doorstep on their own accord and even under such a dangerous situation. If Shen Miao Qi's identity was verified to be his biological younger sister, it must be reported to the Crown Prince and the emperor. But as to when and how to report it, Yu Pin Yan had to reconsider it.