Chapter 24

Yu Pin Yan went to the military camp and only returned home twice a month. This made Yu Xiang very anxious and had no choice but to chant Buddhist scriptures. She possessed wisdom,[1] yet she has a secular heart. In Yu Xiang's two lives, she had fallen into the same place, Avici[2]. Yet, she never wanted to break free and fell deeper instead.

This day, a female official[3] went to pick her up to meet the Ninth Princess after she had finished her morning lessons.

Interacting with a simple child was the most relaxing and pleasant thing to do. Yu Xiang suppressed her worrisome thoughts and got on the carriage.

Although the Ninth Princess was eight years old, she still lived with the Empress and occupied a large courtyard on the Changle Palace's west side. Yu Xiang greeted the Empress, and two old Momo pushed her wheelchair.

The Ninth Princess's study companion had already been decided. She was Fan Jiao Jiao, the youngest daughter of the General Who Guards the State. Even though her name was beautiful, she was a naive little tigress. Her personality was very straightforward, and if you talked to her in a roundabout manner, she wouldn't be able to understand it. Even though she just reached seven years old, she was taller than Yu Xiang. With her tanned skin and big eyes, her manner would seem imposing when she stared at someone.

Of course, such a paper tiger would only be able to frighten ordinary children. Yu Xiang wasn't afraid of her. On their first meeting, she made the little girl docile and thought to herself, "The Empress has great discernment. Though looking for a foolish person was to prevent the Qiu'er from being controlled by her companion, but how can she find someone this stupid? When both of them are together, it can only form four words--Heaven is imperfect, the earth is uneven[5].

Once 'Heaven is imperfect, the earth is uneven' saw her, it was as if they saw a meat bone. They ran towards her and pulled her hand towards the soft couch. Two Momo pushed the wheelchair forward and took off Yu Xiang's shoes before carrying her.

The three of them chatted for a while. The Ninth Princess looked around and saw that all the palace servants hung their heads low. Then she took out a wooden box from the back of the pillow, opened the lid, and placed it in front of Yu Xiang. She whispered, " Here, this is for you. It's called Snow Exquisite. It's delicious."

Yu Xiang looked intently at it, but it was just two fried chop rice cakes that were sprinkled with a layer of white icing sugar. They were round and powdery, which looked very lovely. Yu Xiang picked one up and placed it into her mouth to chew. She glanced at the tigress, who was secretly swallowing her saliva.

"Is it nice?" The Ninth Princess asked expectantly.

"Delicious." She bit on the soft glutinous skin, and the fragrant red bean paste filling immediately seeped out. It was too sweet for others but just right for Yu Xiang. Like the Ninth Princess, she has a sweet tooth as well.

The Ninth Princess laughed contentedly, "I knew you would like it. I traded it with a bag of jewels. There were six of them. I ate two and Jiao Jiao ate two, and I left two for you."

When she heard this, Yu Xiang who was swallowing the food almost choked to death. She quickly waved to the palace servants standing beside them, rolling her eyes until the white of her eyes was almost shown. What type of fried chop rice cake is worth a bag of jewels?

The palace servant hurriedly brought a glass of water and handed it to her.

The Ninth Princess's wet nurse, Jin Momo, came forward to pat her back as she contemplated the words that were said. Who was bold enough to deceive the Ninth Princess with a few rice cakes? Because the princesses were not allowed to be accompanied by palace servants when they were in class, and only their study companion could. Thus, as for what was happening in school, if the Ninth princess didn't mention anything, then there was no way for Jin Momo to know.