Chapter 66

It took Yu Si Yu eight days to decide on a candidate, but he was the grandnephew of the Old Madam's elder sister-in-law's brother. Although this relationship between relatives was somewhat distant, they usually stay in contact with them.

This man was only twenty years old and had just gone through the coming-of-age ceremony[1]. He had already taken part in the imperial examination twice before and failed both times. However, he was very handsome and elegant, and his father was the Chancellor of the Directorate of Education[2].

This person was the second to last talented person among the candidates. If it wasn't for the fact that he was related to the Old Madam and came from a family of scholars, the Old Madam would not have considered him. However, Yu Si Yu chose him because he was the most handsome and distinguished among them even though he wasn't talented. Her high-minded eyes failed to break through the barrier and she determined to walk on that path till the end[3].

The Old Madam gave her a profound gaze, and finally retrieved the booklet, let out a long sigh and slowly said, "Fine. Since you have chosen him, I will send someone to propose marriage."

Yu Xiang leaned over toward the Old Madam. She flipped through the pages and said, "This person isn't good. There are so many concubines in his manor after his coming of age. Moreover, with Yu Si Yu's hardheadedness, wouldn't she be killed by them? This was still the best. Even though he was older and from a humble family, there weren't any concubines in the family and not even a tongfang[4]. Within four years, he climbed from a position of Registrar[5] in the Court of the Imperial Stud[6] to a local magistrate in the capital with his own abilities. He is a reliable person."

"A local magistrate of the sixth-rank? If Younger Sister fancies him, why don't you marry him yourself?" Yu Si Yu sneered.

Yu Xiang glanced askance at her and didn't even bother to care about her. However, the Old Madam got angry, slammed the table and said, "Enough, don't take Xianger's kindness for a donkey's heart and lungs[7]! If this person was not my Elder Sister-in-law's relatives and had even invited a matchmaker to propose marriage, I would not have considered him. Forget it. Since you like him, I won't stop you. However, if you feel wronged after marriage, don't come to me for help. Go back and prepare for marriage."

Because Yu Si Yu still had to rely on the Old Madam to purchase her dowries, she didn't dare to argue with her, so she resentfully bid farewell and took her leave.

The Old Madam immediately ordered people to discuss the marriage. In the afternoon, they exchanged Gengtie[8]. On the next day, each party found someone to examine and made a betrothal letter. In just a day and a half, Yu Si Yu's marriage was settled.

Yu Si Yu still felt unreconciled to it in her heart. She locked herself in her room without eating or drinking. When Yu Miao Qi heard of this news, she visited her with a box of pastries she had personally made.

"At least eat a little. Other than suffering by yourself, who would feel sorry for you if you were ill?" Yu Miao Qi picked up an Osmanthus glutinous rice cake[9] with her fingers and held it near Yu Si Yu's lips.

In the end, Yu Si Yu took a bite. She lamented with tears in her eyes, "The only person who treats me the best is still my younger sister. Why didn't you come home earlier? And we, sisters, can also be together for a longer time."   

"What is the point of returning earlier or later? Anyway, I am irrelevant." Yu Miao Qi's short sentence caused Yu Si Yu to burst out crying sorrowfully. At the same, she hated Yu Xiang and the Old Madam even more.

Yu Miao Qi spoke immediately after, "Although I have just returned and have half-baked knowledge towards the manor, but I also know that with our Elder Brother's power, you can at least marry into a Duke, Marquis or even a family that has a government post in the imperial court. Why did Grandmother find all those unpresentable candidates for you? Could it be that since Yu Xiang cannot get married, you are not allowed to marry too well for fear of touching her sore spot? Do they treat you like a family member? Will it be the same for me in the future?"