Chapter 104

The next day, Old Madam continued bringing Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi to pay a visit to the Crown Prince's residence while Yu Xiang and Yu Si Yu came along too. As the Crown Princess also had her throat burnt, she only met them before sending both Lin Shi's mother and daughter to the side hall for an admonishment talk. She then communicated with Old Madam and others by exchanging notes without any grudges in between the words.

In the next half month, the group successively called upon the poisoned female guests. As the Empress and the Crown Princess have already magnanimously pardoned them, they dare not be overbearing either and let it pass after merely pointing out a few words. The reputations of Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi, however, still remained bad. In the past, there were still a few well-acquainted families with whom Yu manor had dealings, but now Yu manor is completely deserted.

All the influential officials distanced themselves from the Yu family either intentionally or unintentionally with the attempt to push the Yu family out of the Capital's top elite families circle and isolate them completely. This movement is totally in line with Yu Pin Yan's purpose. With the absence of social relationship, only then can he set about his task without distractions when the Emperor wants to eradicate the various prominent families in the future.

And Emperor Cheng Kang is more than glad to see it happen. Yu Pin Yan is now a good, loyal, and lone minister who is also an invincible valiant general. Not only does the Emperor want to make full use of this precious sword, he wants to leave it to the Crown Prince too. What does it matter if the reputation has fallen even shorter, as long as the ability is not lacking.

Hence, although this matter has more or less affected the Yu manor, it does not diminish the standing of Yu Pin Yan in Emperor Cheng Kang's eyes.

After visiting the last family today, Old Madam summoned everyone to the main courtyard for a discourse.

The weather was getting much colder that fire cage[1] was burning in the hall with a table set on top and covered with a quilt. As Old Madam's health has been poor after being poisoned, she was hurdling under the quilt to keep herself warm at this moment. When she caught sight of her grandchildren, she hastily called out to them to sit around the fire cage.

Yu Pin Yan placed his younger sister down and sat next to her while Yu Si Yu sat on the other side of Old Madam where four of them happened to fill up all the seats.

Seeing Ma Momo came in with a box, Yu Xiang asked, "Do you want to play mahjong? As it happened, I brought some golden melon seeds with me."

Hearing what was said, Yu Si Yu also took out her purse with a zestful expression.

Yu Pin Yan smiled and took off his own purse from his waistband to hand it over to his younger sister which instead of the golden melon seeds, it contained five-spiced roasted melon seeds. Yu Xiang was even happier than having the golden melon seeds when she poured them all out to spread on a handkerchief then raising her chin at her elder brother, "Peel out the melon seeds and put them together. I like to munch them in big bites which are more relishing!"

Pinching the tip of her nose, Yu Pin Yan nipped the melon seeds as instructed. Yu Xiang dared not keep it for herself and naturally fed the first peeled melon seed into Old Ancestor's mouth.

"What about me?" Yu Si Yu felt unsatisfied.

"You can peel them yourself, don't you have hands and feet?" Yu Xiang waved her hand then took the box and opened it before sighing, "It's actually not mahjong tiles ah."

Old Madam was in a much better mood after the fuss she made and spoke with a smile, "It's exactly not for fun calling all of you over today. These are Yu Miao Qi's bookkeeping since she took charge of the household management. We will check the books in front of everyone today, then ask Lin Shi to pack up and leave."