Maledictus

By man_or_muppet

She is the carrier of an unforgivable blood curse. Circus, Manor, Cell. Sold, bought and tortured. Hogwarts. ... More

P R E F A C E
PART 1
Ch.1 - The Circus
Ch.2 - Chains and Pain
Ch.3 - Hogwarts
Ch.4 - Hogwarts Express
Ch.5 - The Sorting Hat
Ch.6 - Hermione
Ch.7 - The Howler
Ch.8 - Skiving Snackbox
Ch.9 - The Twins
Ch.10 - Tears of Anger
Ch.11 - Trying to Help
Ch.12 - The Face in the Fire
Ch.13 - Detention with Snape
Ch.14 - Murtlake Water
Ch.15 - Help
Ch.16 - Blood
Ch.17 - Library
Ch.18 - The Potions Master
Ch.19 - The Argument
Ch.20 - Stars
Ch.21 - Mash Potatoes
Ch.22 - Owlery
Ch.23 - Teasing
Ch.24 - Ron
Ch.25 - Home
Ch.26 - Lucius
Ch.30 - David's Letter
Ch.31 - The Jump
Ch.32 - The Hospital Wing
Ch.33 - The Black Van
Ch.34 - The Red Envelope
Ch.35 - The Apology
Ch.36 - The Oak Tree
Ch.37 - Bellatrix
Ch.38 - Elephants
Ch.39 - The Show
Ch.40 - Blurt
Ch.41 - Broken.
Ch.42 - Running
Ch.43 - Rue Banks
Ch.44 - The Cell
Ch.45 - Draco's Guilt
Ch.46 - The Voice.
Ch.47 - The Discovery.
Ch.48 - Desperate.
Ch.49 - Doors
Ch.50 - Loss
PART 2
Ch.1 - Silence
Ch.2 - Running
Ch.3 - Memories
Ch.4 - The Stable
Ch.5 - Unexpected Visitors.
Ch.6 - The Table
Ch.7 - Obliviate
Ch.8 - The Apple Tree
Ch.9 - The Dark Mark
Ch.10 - Periit Dolore
Ch.11 - The Task
Ch.12 - Awful agreements.
Ch.13 - Draco
Ch.14 - The Marking
Ch.15 - Ginny
Ch.16 - Snape
Ch.17 - McGonagall
Ch.18 - Detention
Ch.19 - Time
Ch.20 - Toast
Ch.21 - Rue
Ch.22 - The Execution
Ch.23 - Lupin
Ch.24 - Quidditch
Ch.25 - Two Invitations
Ch.26 - The Return
Ch.28 - Brave
Ch.29 - Home
Ch.30 - The Chase
Ch.31 - Chicken Sandwiches
Ch.32 - The Job
Ch.33 - The Mistake
Ch.34 - Word Spreads
Ch.35 - Voices
Ch.36 - Sectumsempra
Ch.37 - Jason and Lucas
Ch.38 - Promises
Ch.39 - The Gift
Ch.40 - The Werewolf
Ch.41 - Reasons
Authors Note
PART 3
Ch. 1 - Arrival
Ch. 2 - Home
Ch. 3 - Letters
Ch. 4 - Tools
Ch. 5 - Phone
Ch. 6 - Train
Ch. 7 - Prank
Ch. 8 - Reckless
Ch. 9 - Carrows
Ch. 10 - Rage
Ch. 11 - Ritual
Ch. 12 - Flyer
Ch. 13 - Snow
Ch. 14 - Rosie
Ch. 15 - Headmaster
Ch. 16 - Oliver

Ch.27 - The Ball

281 9 2
By man_or_muppet

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

"YOU REMEMBER OUR
AGREEMENT?

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

Henry ran until he reached the next village.
He was terrified.
That was a close call, two death eaters, not one, but two had almost caught him.

Voldemort knows he's alive.
He wasn't safe anymore, and neither was Alice.
He just hoped that she didn't find out, becausethen she'd only start looking, looking in a place she will never escape from.

As much as Henry didn't want to admit it, he needed help.
A lot.

He needed someone to help, but someone who wouldn't know a thing about him.
Unfortunatly, the village he was standing before, was nearly filled with Death Eaters patrolling the streets, knowing he'd turn up.

He jumped behind the nearest bush, knowing he wasn't seen, and couldn't be seen.
He was beginning panic, the only thing he wanted to do was to see Alice and give her the biggest hug.

He just wanted to see his sister.

Henry needed to figure something out fast, unless he wanted to live in a bush until he died, which wouldn't be brilliant.

But then he witnessed a miracle.

Just as he looked down, a piece of paper lay crumpled under a pile of leaves.
Thinking it would probably would be nothing he opened it up.

Directions to Diagon Alley:
Head over to the Leaky Cauldron and tap the tenth brick from the left on the thirteenth row down.

Well that was easy.

~*~

Imagine not being able to move, not being able to shout for help, not being able to realise that what you see isn't real.

Imagine have visions with bright green lights, the ground littered with dead bodies and hearing screams and cries of the surviving families.

This is what Alice saw.

She was stuck.
Not only was she trapped in a death eaters home, she was stuck in her own body.
She tried crying out but no one could hear her.

All she saw was death.
Death and sorrow.
And all she could ask was, why me?

Why was she doomed with all this information?
Why was this all left up to her?
Why was she the one who could save everyone?

Finally, she awoke with a start, her forehead covered in sweat, her heart beating fast and trying to figure out if she was still in the dream.

She stood up, her legs like jelly, she couldn't remember anything.
She remembered nothing about the visions, absolutely nothing.

And that was scary.

She sat back down again, trying her hardest to remeber anything, something, even the tiniest something, but she couldn't.
It was gone.

Maybe it really was a dream? Maybe it wasn't a vision at all!

But if she believed that, she would be believing lies.
It was all becoming real, Henry wasn't lying, everything would be revealed, she just didn't know when.

And this was the start.

She pulled the dusty blanket over her head, and screamed, using a fist to dampen the sound.
It was all too much.

She needed help, and that help could only come from Henry.
Henry was the only one who truly made her feel safe.

I don't know how heaven works Henry, but if you can somehow hear me, I just want to let you know that I need help.
Right. Now.

She knew he wouldn't answer.
He was dead, remember?

He would never answer, that defeats the purpose of that person being dead, right?

~*~

I don't know how heaven works Henry, but if you can somehow hear me, I just want to let you know that I need help.
Right. Now.

Henry stopped in his tracks, shivering slightly as he heard his sister's voice inside his head.
He wanted to answer, he really did, but he knew he couldn't, that wouldn't be smart.

But why was she contacting him?
She knew he was dead, didn't she?
Who would've told her?

He certainly didn't, and that's all that mattered.

He looked at the piece of paper again, what if it was a trap?
What if it was a trick, what if it was wrong and that's why it was thrown away?

How was he to know if he didn't try?

Maybe he'd find someone to help.
Maybe he'd find a place to hide, to keep out of sight and then after all this war crap blew over, he'd be able to find Alice.

That's if she survived.

She warned him, she warned him that she didn't have much time left.
She was in pain, although she hardly let it show.

She needed help, and he would find it.

~*~

When Draco came in later that morning, Alice had her knees tight to her chest, her breaths laboured and rocking back and forth.

She was beyond terrified.

"What the hell is wrong with you!?" asked Draco angrily, pulling Alice to her feet, only for her to fall moments later when he let go. "Get up mudblood!"

"Mr. Malfoy, please........I need help" she whimpered, staring at him, her eyes showing nothing but terror.

Draco sighed.
He couldn't help, he'd be in deep trouble.
He couldn't come across as a muggle lover.

"Do you think I care?!" he shouted. "Mother wants you downstairs in five minutes. And clean yourself up!"

After he left, Alice wiped her eyes, and managed to get to her feet.
Her legs were weak, they felt like jelly.

She never felt this way before.
She never felt this scared.
But it wasn't for herself, she was scared that she was going to find out that her friends all died.

Rue? I don't care if you killed Henry, I need help, and your the only person I have left.

She made her bed and headed downstairs as slowly as possible; savouring every peaceful moment she had alone, as the mumbles from the entrance hall grew louder.

Everyone suddenly stopped everything as Alice's bare feet touched the cold tiled floor of the hall and was faced with Narissa, Yaxely and Bellatrix.

"You look a state mudblood" stated Narissa coldly, folding her arms and Bellatrix snickered.

"Sorry ma'am" Alice replied, her eyes not meeting the Death Eaters in front of her.

"Put this on" she said, throwing a dress at Alice who just managed to catch it.
It was long, and looked huge. It was probably one of Narissa's but someone breathed on it and it was obviously not fit to wear anymore.

It was pretty, but Alice knew that once she put it on, nothing good will come out of it.
Just just like the time James gave her the dress at the Circus.

However, she was going to do what she was told, and then she may have a chance to go back to Hogwarts.

"Well, go on!" said Narissa, dismissing her.

Again, Alice took this as an escape, an escape from any pain, or their sinister eyes.
As she began to undress, she noticed how pale and sickly she looked.
Her ribs were sticking out of her body and her back was littered with scars.

Now she understood everyone's concern.

Not wanting to see herself anymore, she put on the dress and zipped it up at the back, only to have it fall down and gather at her ankles.

Just what she needed, a dress that was too big.

"Oi!" shouted Draco, pounding on the door. "You ready yet?"

"Mr. Malfoy, it won't fit!"

"If it's too small, don't breath!"

That's exactly what James said.

"No, it's too big!" she said, holding the dress to her small body as Draco came in.
She was afraid he'd hit her or something, maybe even curse her.
He didn't have a reason to, but no Malfoy ever had a reason to hurt her.

"Turn around, I'll fix it" he said, noticing the scars and how thin she was.
He didn't realise she had gotten this bad. "Alice, you've really let yourself go"

Alice looked up at him, realising he had noticed the scars.
He noticed the faint white lines that ruins her life, that we're proof of what she went through.
Crap, just the time.
He would make some big deal about, and maybe make more in the process.

"And why do you care?" she said, zipping up the dress herself, covering any signs of the faded lines.

"Alice, let me help!"

"You offer that now?" she asked angrily, grabbing a loose piece of string from her satchel that Ginny kindly lent her, and tied it around her waist so the dress stayed on. "Excuse me, I believe I have to be downstairs"

Draco closed the door, preventing her from going any further.
Alice was suddenly raging, what more Did he want? He brought her here, watched as Yaxely hurt her, joined in as his mother called her awful names, what else did he want?

What she said was true, and if he had a problem with that, well he shouldn't, he knows what he did and hopefully knew why it was wrong.

"Are you just going to stand there all day?" asked Alice, sitting back down as if she knew she'd be there a while.

"You've got one smart mouth haven't you?" he stated, rolling up his sleeves.
Alice didn't let any fear show, she knew that he couldn't do much damage without his wand.

"Thank you Mr. Malfoy, but I must head down to Ms. Malfoy and Ms. Lestrange, before they think your a muggle lover, even though there is no muggles here"

Before Draco had time to figure out what she had said, Alice slipped by him and headed downstairs, making sure the dress wasn't going to fall down.

"You took a while" stated Yaxley. "Not trying anything are we?"

"No sir" she answered staring at the floor, worried that Draco had found something.
He still hadn't come down.

"Where's Draco?" asked Narissa.

"Mr. Malfoy had to check something for the ball tonight so sent me down, and said he'd catch up"

Alice didn't know why she was covering for Draco.
He was clearly in the wrong by coming up in the first place, but in a way she didn't want to witness anymore torture.

"Well anyway, you'll be making dinner, and greeting the guests and taking their coats, alright?" said Yaxely, walking towards her.

"Yes sir, I understand"

"Good, head to the kitchens, all the ingredients are there"

Without hesitation, she headed into the kitchen, quickly realising she couldn't even turn on the oven, let alone read the recipe.

This is was going to be hard.

~*~

James paced up and down his small apartment room.
He couldn't let Alice stay with the Malfoys, he just wouldn't let it happen.

There was a chance she wouldn't leave.

He needed to get in there and bring her back to his place.
He didn't care if Draco killed him, she wasn't safe there.
It's what Henry would've wanted, he put him with them for years, he knew what it was like, and wouldn't want Alice to go through the same thing.

He knew about the ball at Malfoy Manor, but the only way to get in was if you had a Dark Mark and that was the last thing Draco ever wanted printed on his skin.

He could draw one?

Nah, can't even draw a flower.

Fake one?

They'd see right through me, but I have something that will help!

~*~

"How's dinner looking?" asked Draco, sauntering into the kitchen as Alice was placing the finishing touches on the goats cheese and red onion tarts (horrible).

"Finished" she replied, not looking at him.

"Good, mother wants you in Fathers study" he said, his lips curling into an unusual smirk.
After placing all the tarts and other dishes into the fridge to cool, Alice followed Draco.
She had no idea what was needed from her, she had done everything correct.

"Hello dear" said Narissa sweetly, sitting in the same seat Lucius did just last year when she was told she'd be going to Hogwarts. "Have a seat"

Alice reluctantly took the seat in front of her, her eyes darting around the room for any hidden weapons or any machines of terror.
However, there didn't seem to even be a wand in sight.

"I just wanted to discuss the guest list for tonight"

"Yes ma'am"

"You only let men and women in if they bear the Dark Mark, is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am, perfectly clear"

"Good, you may stay in your room until you are called, is that alright?"

"Yes ma'am, thank you ma'am"

Stunned at how simple all that was, Alice rushed upstairs, knowing there was one thing she had to do before the ball.

She closed the door, and making no noise what so ever, she opened the window and whistled.
Then she took out twleve boxes and placed them into a basket.
She wrote a big note, and stuck it on the front just in time to see a great barn owl fly into the small bedroom, and pick up the basket.

"You know where to take this" she whispered, feeding it crumbs from the kitchens.
The owl hooted happily and flew off.

Now she just hoped the owl brought it to the right place.

Most of the fear she had felt earlier today as disappeared into thin air.
She almost felt happy. She was happy that she had some quiet alone, she was happy that James was no longer with his father.

However unfortunatly that happiness had to he hidden once she heard the dreaded knock on the rich, dark, oak wood door.

"I'm coming Mr. Malfoy, no need to say anything" she said gloomy as hell, getting up from her seat. She felt like the real Alice in those few short hours alone, as if nothing cared, and she could finally breath without the added fear of someone giving out because of what an awful, inconsiderate mudblood she was.

Even though she's a pureblood.

"Sit down, I've brought some food, the ball isn't for another while" he said, walking in with a tray of food. "I want you to eat this, okay?"

Alice nodded taking the tray, having no intention of eating it.
Back at Hogwarts all she ate was mash potatoes, toast, apples and maybe a small plate of salad here and there and she only drank water.

The tray was filled with food Alice had never tasted.
Roast chicken, in dripping gravy, with steam-cooked vegetables, stuffing made to perfection and topped off with roast potatoes.

It was food heaven.
But she knew she wouldn't be able to eat it.

"Eat, I'll be back up in a while"

Alice still had no intention of eating any bit of it, but suddenly her stomach rumbled, a noise she hadn't heard in a long time.
Smelling the roast, and watching the gravy drip off the succulent meat and into the plate, made her mouth water.

"Oh flip it, I'm hungry" she mumbled, taking the knife and fork, and cutting up a piece of chicken before biting into it.

And let's just say that she ate the entire thing.

You will never understand how proud Alice was of herself.
She finished an entire dinner, with only feeling a tiny bit sick after.
It was an accomplishment she'll never forget.

She still had a while until the ball, but even now she was as nervous as ever, for one thing hadn't occurred to her before now.

If Alice goes around, inviting guests in, taking their coats, any Hogwarts students who unfortunatly turned up would instantly know that she wasn't a Malfoy and then her secret would be out.

How could they be so stupid? Did they want her to be found out?
Did they seriously want people to find out?
All of last year she was punished greatly if she even mentions something as simple as her last name, and now, she was punished if she called them by their real names.

Long story short, the Malfoys are messed up.

She needed a way to not get recognised.
She wanted people to know about her, the real Alice, but with Henry gone, and Voldemort on her heels it was too risky.

She jumped to her feet when Draco walked in, his nose in the air.
She wasn't scared, she was going to get through this, she knew she was.

"Mother-"

"I know, I'm ready to go" she said, tightening the rope, making sure the knot wasn't going to come undone.

"I can fix that if you want" Draco said, and Alice thought she almost saw a small smile.
But this is Draco Malfoy, he doesn't suck up to people like Alice.

"Nope, this should do Mr. Malfoy"

She pushed past him, and headed down the stairs, Draco behind her.
It couldn't be that bad, taking people's coats, showing them to their table for dinner and washing the dishes.
Just like the circus, and she survived that, she can certainly survive this.

"Ah good" said Yaxley, meeting her at the stairs as if she was some princess.
She wasn't, she was burden to everyone around her. "Just the mudblood I was looking for"

"Yes Mr. Yaxley?"

"You remember our agreement?"

Alice racked her brain, but she knew nothing about an agreement.
Crap. Crap. Crap.

Just nod and smile.
Nod and smile.

"Stupid girl, the nod and smile trick obviously means you have no idea what I'm talking about!" he said, giving her a backhanded slap.

"Sorry Mr. Yaxley!" she said, closing her eyes tight, as his cane met her stomach and was knocked off her feet.
If this was the worst it got, she was doing quite well.

"Corban, you didn't tell her!" said Draco, pulling the cane from his hands.
You could tell Draco was mad, and Alice was confused, why on earth would he help her?

"Thanks Mr. Malfoy" she mumbled, watching as he put the cane in the cupboard.
She knew that Yaxely wasn't going to take that lightly.
If there's one rule Death Eaters are supposed to follow is that anyone who is being tortured has a reason to be tortured, therefore, for no reason should it be stopped.
So for Draco to do this, it was a big no.

"Draco a word in the kitchen?" he snarled and Draco gulped.
Alice had to do something, it wasn't his fault.
He helped Alice, it was her turn to help him.

Sucking in a deep breath of air, she made her way to the kitchen, her heart beating hard in her chest.

"You know the rules Draco!"

"I know Corban, but you can't go around hitting her, that's the Dark Lord's job, not yours!" Draco stated angrily.

As Yaxley raised his hand, and Draco braced himself for the impact, Alice made her move.
She knew it was wrong, but so was everything else.

"Mr. Yaxely! It's not Mr. Malfoys fault! You did tell me, yet I don't remember and I am truly sorry!" she cried, watching as both Death Eaters attention turned to her, and instead of Draco getting the slap, Alice got it.

"I admire your honesty, but it was the wrong thing to do"

"I understand Mr. Yaxely"

"Draco, deal with her, I have committed to more important things"

And with that, Yaxely left, leaving Draco and Alice alone.
She stared at the floor, waiting for someone to say something.
The silence was deafening.

"Say something!" she said through gritted teeth. "Get it over with, the guests should be here soon"

Draco grabbed her elbow and lead her to another room.
This is where it would turn bad, she had a gut feeling, that anything that happened from this point onwards wasn't going to be good.

"You didn't have to do that" he said calmly.

"I did, it was my fault-"

"How is it yours when he never told you?"

"Because I should've lied, done something that wasn't as stupid"

Draco sighed.
He didn't want to hurt Alice, it was true he hated her, he hated her with all his heart for she did something unforgivable.
But didn't want to hurt her, he was too scared, he didn't want this life.

"Get it over with already!" Alice shouted, her heart beating even faster.

"Just go, go and wait for the guests!"

Alice stared him for a minute, before rushing out and waiting at the oak door, listening for the knocks.
Waiting for everything to start.

Knock Knock.

Alice jumped, and opened the door, revealing a large group of Death Eaters.

"Good evening" Alice said, watching as they all showed her the Dark Mark and explained that the children were their children.
Each had heavy black and grey trench coats, and Alice just about managed to carry them to the spare room. "Just head into the dining room, I shall show you where you are sitting"

But before she could go any further, a hand wrapped around her upper arm, pulling her closer.

It was Pansy.
Bloody Pansy Parkinson.

"Ms. Parkinson" Alice said curtly.

"Bastard"

Although Pansy seemed confident, she was surprised, but felt betrayed.
Draco had lied to her, he protected the mudblood, put Alice before her, but it was all a lie.
But what for?

She lead the crowd, and giving each a table number, she rushed back to the door and greater more people, and going through the same routine.

It wasn't too hard.

"That's about it, well done mudblood, looks like you have a brain after all" Narissa snarled, placing a boney hand on her shoulder. "Wait here, in case anymore are late"

"Yes ma'am" Alice replied.

"Would you like a glass of water?" Narissa asked, smiling thinly. "Think if it as your reward"

"Yes please ma'am. Thank you"

Narissa Malfoy, the woman who had brought Alice down from the moment she stepped foot into the manor offered to get Alice a glass of water? Was she mad?

"Here you are dear, after dinner, you may head back to your room"

"Thank you"

Alice took the glass and took small sips, making it last and making sure she wasn't going to vomit.
It was so easy. Narissa must've taken a chill pill or something, usually she was screamed at for breathing too close to her.

Knock Knock.

"Fashionable late doesn't work when your two hours late" Alice mumbled to herself with a small laugh.
She opened the door, not meeting the man's eyes. "Good evening sir, can I take-"

Shit shit shit.
Nope nope.
Slam the bloody door!!

And that's exactly what she did.
She slammed the door in his face, knowing she was seeing things.
No one was there, and it defiantly wasn't the man she thought he was.

Knock Knock.

"I believe you might've shut me out" came the voice from the other side of the thick oak door.

"Your kind isn't wanted around here" Alice said, annoyed.

"My kind? Do you even know who I am?"

"Of I do, James Baxter!"

James went silent.
He didn't think she'd be so mad.
He thought she'd be happy, excited, anything but mad.

"Are you going to let me in?"

"I'm sorry sir, only those who bare the Dark Mark can enter, plus, I don't see your name on the guest list"

"Open the door Alice"

Alice sighed, and opened the door.
James defiantly looked better than before, his bruising from the fight had settled and his eyes were no longer bloodshot.

"I've opened it, now I can close it" she said moodily, slamming the door, but catching James's foot, therefore, leaving it open. "Go James, I'll get in-"

"What's going on here?" boomed Yaxely, placing a cold, heavy hand on her shoulder, staring at James.

"Its alright, he mistook the house for his cousins house. He received wrong directions I've been told" she answered, glaring at James, knowing what he had done could've gotten her killed.

"Actually-" began James, but was thankfully interrupted by Yaxely moments later.

"Good day sir, you aren't on our guest list"

"Of course I'm not" he stated as if he had learnt the conversation off by heart, which made Alice feel uneasy. "I'm a new recruit, just got my mark today"

James lifted his shirt sleeve, showing the Dark Mark in all its guts.
The breath was knocked out of Alice.
James? He didn't? No he couldn't, he wouldn't!

Yaxely inspected it.

"Right then, come on in" he said calmly, yet the grip on Alice's shoulder got tighter as if to say you mess up again and you're gone. "Mudblood, take his coat, and show him in, then proceed to your room"

Alice nodded and took James's coat, scared, scared that he'd pounce on her.
Kill her, be the James she knew back in the Circus.

"Just one moment sir"

"Al-"

"You refer to me as mudblood sir, just like everyone else" she said, a lump forming in her throat.
She lost Henry, she lost Rue.
She only had James, but now, he was gone too.

Taking her time to place the coast gently on the bed, making sure he didn't creep up behind her.
She needed time to think and the marking kept popping into her head.

The one who is to be betrayed.

Maybe it was James, maybe it was Draco, but it could also be both.
Who knows at the moment?
Who will ever know until it's too late?

"Follow me sir, your table number is-"

Suddenly James dragged her by the arm into Lucius's office and he locked the door behind her.
Now it was time for the scared to turn to terror.

"Sir-"

"Did you get my note?" he asked desperatly. "The one I placed in your pocket?"

"Well Yes, but I didn't read it!"

"Why not?"

"Maybe because I'm in a bloody Manor!" she shouted angrily.
Could this day get any worse?
"You yourself have some bloody explaining to do. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU GET THE DARK MARK?!"

"Keep your voice down you loony! It's fake, see?" James said, rolling off his sleeve, and peeling the black substance off his arm. "Relax, I'm still James Baxter"

"Then what are you doing here?" she asked, confused.

"To break you out!"

A thousand thoughts rushed through Alice's head.
Break you out!
It wasn't possible, they'd kill her, there was no way out, she tried it already, it just doesn't work.

No she couldn't.
James could get hurt, and that's the last thing she wanted.
There was only a few more days, then she was back at Hogwarts.

"No, you've got to leave, it doesn't work" she said, shaking her head, making her way to the door. "I think I should show you to dinner"

"Alice listen to me, I can get you out of here, just trust me!" he said, knowing he didn't have long.

"James, please! Just leave, it's better"

"Alice, you need to get out of here, you won't survive"

"You underestimate me Baxter, I spent seven years with you, six months in the Cell and two Christmases here" she said, smiling sweetly, kinda mad that James said what he said. "And I'm still alive"

"Alright, no need to he smart about it!" he said, impatiently. "We need to get out now!"

"Go James, I'll be killed!"

Alice wasn't having this anymore.
There was more of her having a chance at survival if she stayed here, if she left and they find her, well that wasn't going to end well.

She needed him to leave.
What in Merlin's name possessed him to come?
If he's found out, you don't want to know what would happen!

"James, I love you, and I love you for coming, but we'll both be killed, just leave!"

"Alice I'm not leaving-"

"Well what have we here?" snarled the voice Yaxely.
He always seemed to turn up at the wrong time, didn't he? "Seems like you to know each other, interesting conversations I hear"

He listened, forget escaping, I'll die right here!

"Mr. Yaxely, I-I can explain, you see-"

"There's nothing to explain stupid girl! I heard everything!" he shouted, his sinister voice filling with anger. "DRACO!"

Minutes later Draco rushed up, his eyes turning cold as he saw James.
Although they never met properly, their dad's hated each other, therefore, they hated each other.

This isn't going to end well.

"Malfoy"

"Baxter"

"Draco, bring the mudblood-"

"USE HER NAME, SHES A PERSON TOO!" James shouted, walking up to Yaxely. "Treat her like you treat that spoilt bastard over there!"

"Bastard? BASTARD?" Draco asked angrily, punching James squarely in the face and Alice yelped taking a step back. "YOU SAY THAT AGAIN, I DARE YOU!"

"Bastard, your a bloody bastard!" James sneered, and pushed Draco, his back hitting the wall.
Yaxley stood their in shock, he didn't know what to think, so Alice did it for him.

She stepped between the two boys, and pulled James off Draco will all her strength.
She couldn't believe she did it.
They still hurled abuse at each other, but there was no more physical beatings or anything but James' nose was still bleeding.

"Draco, bring the mudblood to her room, I shall escort the traitor" said Yaxely, still not processing what had just happened.
It all happened so fast.

"Bye Alice" said James, but later mouthed note.

Before she had anytime to say anything, Draco dragged her up the stairs, and pushed her through the door.
This day didn't go the way She wanted. If James didn't turn up, it wouldn't have gotten so complicated.

"YOU IDIOT! COMPLETE IDIOT!" Draco shouted, slamming the door behind him.
Alice jumped, she hadn't expected to explode like that.
It wasn't her fault, Yaxely let him in, she told him to leave.

"Mr. Malfoy-"

"Don't. Do you understand how much trouble your in? I have stopped them from hurting you and this is how you replay me?!" he said angrily.

"Oh so now I'm the bad guy? I'm the one who started this?" Alice asked, anger flaring up inside of her. She rolled up a sleeve, revealing the long scar down her right arm. "May I remind you of what you did to me in first year? This year, the CRUCIATUS CURSE IN SCHOOL!? Don't think this is my fault, I never wanted this to happen! I was happy with Henry! I was happy not knowing anything, and then they came along. You came along!"

Draco didn't know how to answer.
Alice didn't want to cry, she didn't want to show how weak she was.
The last thing Draco would ever do is help her, all he did was hurt her.

Suddenly Draco's face went very pale as he pulled up his sleeve.
The mark.
The Dark Mark was on his arm.
Harry was right, Draco was a death eater, he had changed and wasn't the old Draco wasn't coming back.

"See? THIS IS WHAT YOU DID TO ME! You weren't like your brother! It was too late when they found out! YOU WERE TOO LATE! You had to escape! You had to be the little shit you are!"

Henry?
What did he have to do with this? He was normal, he was the only normal one in the family.
But he was taken? Why was he taken?

Alice backed away into the corner of the small room, Draco still fuming.
Why Henry? Why did everything link back to him? Why is everything connected yet she still had no answer?

"My father is gone, because you couldn't lose your precious brother!"

"WELL GUESS WHAT!? HES GONE, HE'S DEAD!"

"Your brother didn't matter, my father was everything"

A tear rolled down Alice's cheek.
That stung like a thousand bees.
Henry was her only family, the one there to support her.
She was so mad, she did the only thing that seemed right, yet it was so wrong.

She walked up to Draco and kicked right in the groin.

"My brother was the only left. How can you say that? Not once, not once have I ever said anything rude about your parents or you, yet I'm still treated like shit! I don't how you sleep at night!"

Draco was now on the floor, groaning as he wished for the pain to subside.
Alice couldn't believe she did what she did, it felt nice to give back.

"James is my best friend, you punch him again and I'll kick you twice as hard!" she threatened, sitting onto the bed, satisfied with herself.

Draco got shakily to his feet, glaring at her.
He was so mad already, and she just made it worse.

"You think your life is hard? Big deal, your brother is dead, we are your family! Plus, you weren't asked to kill someone were you?!"

Kill someone?
Alice ignored that part, must be a mistake.

"Oh so when your father gets put into Azkaban it's a huge cry fest, but when my brother dies when his life was in your hands, it doesn't matter, you're sick, you know that!?"

"I don't care, you will pay for what you did, I swear! You will be sorry! And you tell anyone, ANYONE, about this, you're dead"

On that note Draco left, dry plaster board falling from the ceiling as he slammed the door.
Alice's heart was beating fast.
She was proud of herself.

I ate a whole dinner.
Got a glass of water off Narissa.
And kicked Draco in the groin!

It's been a good day.

Remembering the note in her pocket from James, she crawled under the bed and her robes.

She opened it, her hands shaking slightly.
She took a deep breath and read.

Lakeview Apartments
22c
Second floor.

It must be his address so that she can send him letters.
But when she turned it over, there was more.

Rue is dead.
Never go back to the Manor.

Her heart stopped.
Rue was dead.
No wonder she wasn't answering! She was dead, completely dead!

James was the only one she could trust.

~*~

"MUM!" yelled Bill, pouring his coffee, while waiting for his toast to pop. "MUM!"

"What is it Bill?" Mrs. Weasley asked impatiently.

"There's an owl, will you let it in?" he asked, smiling.

"You're right there, do it yourself!"

"I'm making breakfast!"

Mrs. Weasley mumbled something, before opening the kitchen window and pulling in a large basket with twelve boxes neatly wrapped inside.

There was a big note stuck to the front.

"Who's it from?" asked Bill. "It better not be from Snog-face, I can't stand another sloppy card"

"No, it's from Alice" answered Mrs. Weasley, handing the note to Bill.

Dear Weasleys, Mr. Potter, Ms. Granger, Ms. Delacour and Mr. Lupin.

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas.

I want to thank each and every one of you for helping me this past year, i am truly grateful.
I am very sorry that I can't make it this Christmas, but Photoshop me into a few pictures and you'll never know I wasn't there.

Miss you all, Alice.

Ps. Bill, don't steal Ron's toast, I want him in a good mood after the break!

"I bet Ron got her to write the last bit" laughed Bill.

The notes was passed to every one in the Burrow and it lightened up everyone's day.
They had no idea where she found the time or money to buy all these things, but they still opened their gifts.

And each was loved by the receiver.

For Mrs. Weasley new knitting needles.
For Mr. Weasley a book on muggle appliances.
For Bill a limited edition sickle.
For Fleur a cook book, with cooking lessons.

For Charlie a mug with the message 'I'm more of a dragon person'
For Fred and George official name badges for their shop.

For Ron, a t-shirt with you take my toast, I hex you, written on the back.
For Ginny a hairbrush that automatically cleans all the hair away.

For Hermione, a cat toy, bewitched to keep the cat busy for as long as possible. Hermione was always complaining about how Crookshanks wouldn't leave her alone.
For Lupin she got him a pocketwatch as a thank you for all his work on helping to find her brother.

But Harry's was by far the best.
It hurt his heart to see it, but it was by far the best present he has ever received.
Lupin helped her put it together.

It was a picture frame with a picture of Harry and Sirius at Grimmauld place in it.
They were both laughing, smiling something that they could never do again.

Harry already had a photo album filled with pictures of his parents, Sirius and Lupin, but this was special, work had gone into it.

There was a note attached to the back.

Dear Mr. Potter,
You can thank Lupin for your gift,
he helped me pick out a picture.
I really hope you like it.
Mr. Black was an amazing man, he saved me that night, he helped so many people.

From Alice.

Ps: I think Henry and Mr. Black are playing chess.
He always wanted to learn, and if Mr. Black is anything like you, I'm sure Henry would learn quickly.

"I love how Percy didn't get one!" said George quietly, who nudged his twin in the side, who chuckled softly.

"How did Alice even get all this?" asked Harry, knowing Alice didn't have any money, or didn't have a chance to go to Hogsmead.

"I may have helped in that" said Lupin, and Mrs. Weasley glared at him.

"What did you do?" she asked, accusingly.

"Nothing!" Lupin said defensively. "After I talked to Diagon Alley, she admitted that she wished she had enough money to pay for things on her own and buy her best friends Christmas presents"

Everyone smiled.
Alice was like a younger sister to all of them, when she wasn't around, the family wasn't complete.

They would be there for her, they would become the new Henry.
They would he her family for as long as she needed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.2K 372 77
Scared of losing her awaited relationship with Harry Potter, Arabella Nickoletti struggles in creating a place for Draco Malfoy in her life. But litt...
7.9K 119 18
The Malfoy's daughter is unappreciated and sent away as much as possible. She spent lots of time with her aunt Bellatrix, but not even Bellatrix like...
1.3M 38.1K 96
When Alice transfers from Beauxbatons to Hogwarts, everything changes, she leaves many things behind. Or at least she thinks she does. But then she m...
559K 6.7K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...