Ch. 77: Shattered

I just ran. I pushed the button to the elevator so many times, that it was a wonder that it didn't fall off. And when I lost patience waiting for it, I took the stairs, almost tripping several times because my teary eyes made it too blurry to see.

How could he do that to me? I thought he loved me? I couldn't expect anything else from Sarah, but to see Michael in bed with her was more than I could handle. How would he even agree to be in the same room as her, after I'd told him what she did with the picture of me and Kazu? He knew, yet he fucked her in the same room he fucked me! But what provoked me the most, was that he didn't bother to look at me. He didn't even come with the standard phrase 'It's not how it looks like!'. Because it was how it looked like. And he just ignored me.

I had thousands of thoughts galloping in my head like a wild horse fighting against ropes, like a spiral pulling me toward darkness. Wasn't I good enough? Did he hate my body after the pregnancy? I'd exercised as much as I could, but the doctor told me to not push it too far after all I'd been through. Maybe he thought I didn't push far enough? Was it because I didn't want to have sex as often as before? Or maybe he just got tired of me?

"Oh, my God. She was right," I choked out and froze in my spot right before I entered the lobby. He only wanted me to get a baby. A child on his own. And now he would drop me like a wet cloth and take Lilly away from me.

"No!" I cried, and Sophia recognized my voice and came running.

"Did you find h...? What's wrong? What happened?"

She immediately hugged me, and tried to comfort me as best as she could, but my heart was already shattered into a million pieces.

"He can't take her away from me!" I sobbed against her shoulder.

"Take who away from you?"

"He just used me to get what he wanted."

My voice was just a hoarse groan, but she knew me well enough to understand.

"Michael? He would never do such a thing."

I just cried and let her guide me into the reception office and closed the door.

"Ana. Can you please tell me what happened?"

I choked several times and didn't even bother to try to wipe away my tears.

"H-he c-cheated on me," I stuttered between chokes and sniffles.

"What?! Michael cheated on you?"

"And now he's gonna take Lilly away from me..."

I sobbed so loudly that there was no way the guests in the lobby didn't hear. But right now I just didn't care.

"He would never do such a thing. Ana, listen to me. He won't take Lilly away from you. And how did you even find out that he cheated on you?"

"I walked in on them... Naked... In the bed..."

Sophia sat on her knees in front of me, hugging me tightly, where I sat slumped down on the office chair. It felt like someone was stabbing my heart again and again. When I finally dared to trust someone... When I finally started to believe in love... It was all lies.