Ch. 74: Cold shower

"She's awake? Oh, my God! Thank you lord!"

Sophia pulled at my arm like an eager child, and had the most relieved expression on her face. So did her father, but her mother was her usual cold and distant self. But now I knew why and it made sense in a way. This was probably really hard for her.

"Can I see her? Can I? Please?"

"Yes, you can," I chuckled.

"Just wait until she's done feeding Lilly."

Sophia squealed so loud that I had to shush her.

"You need to be quiet here, Soph. The babies are really sensitive to noises."

She ignored me.

"Her name is Lilly? Oh, my God, that's so cute."

I couldn't help but to laugh at her while I shook my head. I gave Peter a handshake but he immediately pulled me in for a bear hug, just like the ones he used to give Ana. Then I contemplated whether or not I should give Roberta a hug, too. I did. She was Ana's mother after all, and soon to be my mother in law. But she froze and spent a moment before she hugged me back. Then we smiled at each other, only a short one, but it was a little smile.

"I forgot to congratulate you when we arrived," she said, and I was confused for a moment.

"How does it feel to be a father?"

I just smiled, surprised that she actually initiated a conversation with me, and I embraced the opportunity to the fullest. I told her about the dramatic hours before they took her away to the surgery room, and the terrible waiting afterwards. Then I apologized for not calling them earlier. I'd been in shock. Literally. I told her about the first meeting with our daughter and the feeling of her seeking comfort in my arms, and I could see her cold façade change little by little. She even seemed to want to place her hand on my arm for a moment. She didn't, though. But what she said warmed my heart.

"Lilliana is lucky to have a man like you. You'll be good parents."

...compared to you, I added silently. Then I felt bad for thinking so. It wasn't really her fault. But I promised myself that we would include both her and Peter on every occasion possible, if they wanted. Then maybe over time Lilliana and Roberta's relationship would get better. Hopefully. We just had to take one step at a time, and I felt that this was a tiny step in the right direction.

"Thank you. We're caught up in a bubble right now, not wanting to leave Lilly at all, even though the nurses say that we should get some rest. Especially Lilliana, who's still closely monitored with blood tests and all kinds of things every day.

"But she'll be fine, right?"

There it is. The motherly concern I hoped for. It was in there, only well hidden, and I could see Peter noticed too. But he was quick to turn away with glazed eyes and a little sniffle. He was a softie, like me.

"Yes, she will. But Lilly needs to stay here for at least a few weeks to make sure that she doesn't get any infections, and that her lungs works properly. Oh. Here she is."

I saw Roberta tense up when Ana came over to the window with our little bundle of joy in her arms. She still had a cannula on her foot and a cable attached to a couple of sensors on her body. But at least she didn't need to wear an oxygen mask all the time.