Ch. 20: Everything according to plan

"Are you mad at me?" Michael asked with a little pout and puppy dog eyes.

"Yes."

That was a big lie. How could I be mad at someone who was as kind as him? He annoyed the crap out of me, but he did it in a way that stirred completely different feelings inside me, than anger. And that made me confused. I was used to deal with all kinds of people through my job, but Michael was nothing like them. Then there was the fact that he was so unbelievably attractive, that it almost hurt to look at him. And it didn't help that he constantly insinuated that he wanted us to be more than friends.

"I know how to make you happy again."

My eyes darted up from my plate at the sound of his dark voice, and met his intense brown ones. And when I blushed for the gazillionth time, I immediately looked away and tried to distract myself. But that bastard loved every second of making me hot and flustered.

"I can rub your..."

He let the sentence hang in the air, just to read my reaction. And my stomach filled with bubbles that popped and tickled my inside. I had to spend a great amount of effort just to swallow my food, because my brain was so completely engulfed in everything this man said and did.

"...feet?"

I gasped silently, before I let the air out in a shivering exhale.

"Or stroke your..."

"Okay! Stop! I know what you're doing."

"...back, until you fall asleep?"

I put my fork down louder that I meant and leaned on my elbows, to make myself seem more determined than I was.

"Yes... No! Don't... First off all; we just met. Second; I'm so pregnant that I don't know myself from my hormones anymore, and much less what I want or don't want. And third; do you know that the whole world is gonna believe I tricked you into having a baby with me for financial motives?"

I don't think I realized what I'd said until I heard the words came out of my mouth. And when I did, I felt my emotions go from angry to sad in just a couple of seconds.

"I don't want people to think I'm a gold digger, Michael," I said silently, while I let the harsh reality sink in. And I bit my lip to hide that it was trembling.

"I'm not like that. I'm not... Shit, I'm ruining everything. I'm sorry. I need to use the bathroom."

I got up quicker than Michael and almost knocked my chair over, before I rushed off and tried to find the ladies room. But then I found out that I was searching in the wrong part of the restaurant, and I couldn't hold my tears back anymore. I just exhaled with a short sob, wishing so desperately that I was back at the hotel.

"Ana..."

Michael walked up behind me and I felt trapped like a deer in the headlights of a car.

"You haven't ruined anything. I know that this is overwhelming for you, but you shouldn't worry about what people say about us. That was actually the other thing I wanted to talk about tonight. And I know it's a mood killer, but we need to discuss secur..."

He got distracted by a short, bright flash from the window. Then another one. And another, before Michael quickly shielded me with his body.

"Shit. They found us."

"Who?"

"The paparazzis. We need to leave."

More flashlights went off and blinded me, but Michael guided me expertly to one of the corners that were hidden from the cameras. Then he paid for our food and took a quick phone call, before he came over and gave me a hug.

(18+) The Guest (Complete) On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara