Ch. 72: Seeking comfort

"Mother?"

The sound of her voice was exactly what I needed now. I'd been up all night worrying about Ana and helping with our daughter whenever I was needed. I didn't want to leave Ana's side, but I also couldn't stay away from our baby.

"No, I'm not okay. We're at the hospital."

I rubbed my forehead to try and keep my emotions at bay.

"Ana's in a coma."

Mother's shocked exclamation told me that probably everyone at Hayvenhurst heard her.

"No, she survived. Barely. She was blue when she came out, and she's really fragile. But she's doing well under the circumstances."

I swallowed.

"Can you please get here?"

A large bead of salty water escaped from my eye and rolled down my cheek. I really needed a hug.

"Thank you."

I hung up and took another sip of my coffee. It tasted like old cardboard. And when a nurse asked me if I wanted something to eat, I just shook my head. My appetite was gone.

I sat next to Ana and held her hand and wished with all my heart that she could open her eyes and smile at me, just the way she did everything morning when she woke up in my arms. What if I never got to do that anymore? What if I never got to say goodbye?

"You're staying with me, Ana. Do you hear me? You can't leave," I said and kissed her hand, before I continued stroking her palm. She had cannulas, tubes and electrodes everywhere, and it all looked so foreign on her body. It didn't belong there. Much less the horrible tube that covered her mouth, and that kept my lips away from hers. If only I could kiss her. Maybe she'd wake up, just like in the fairytales? But of course that was just wishful thinking.

There was a knock on the door and Janet and mother came in, followed by Jackie and Randy. All of them had concerned faces and Janet immediately came over to hug me. But it was the hug from my mother that made me cry again, silently into her neck just like when I was a child. Then she said the words I really needed to hear.

"It gonna be alright, Michael."

I only wish I could believe them.

I turned away from the others and wiped my cheeks, even though I knew they knew I was crying. But neither of them made any comments. Not even Randy, who always found something to joke about, even in completely inappropriate situations. He just came over and patted my back, while looking at Ana resting so peacefully on the bed.

"It all happened so fast," I said lowly.

"One moment everything was fine, until she told me she had more symptoms than before. So I managed to talk her into going to the hospital..."

I drifted off and sniffled, thinking about yesterday morning.

"What if she didn't listen? What if we'd stayed at home like she insisted on?"

Mother wrapped her arms around me again as I broke down in tears.

"I would have lost them both," I cried.