Ch. 57: Control freak

"So..."

"So?"

I looked at Ana, who had a suspicious eye on me.

"You're not telling me why you needed my phone?"

"Hmmm... No."

I could see her suck on her cheeks and I almost had to bite my lip to keep serious.

"You know I can just check the log, right?"

"Mhm," I hummed, trying to sound everything else but enthusiastic. I wasn't sure if I succeeded, so I dug my nose into a contract I had to sign. But Ana wouldn't have it and got up and grabbed her phone, and quickly found out what she wanted.

"My dad? Why'd you call my dad?"

"No reason," I said innocently and shrugged.

"Michael. Tell me why you called him."

I leaned back on the couch and sighed.

"It was about their anniversary. I wanted to ask him a couple of questions."

"And?" she asked unamused. Then she arched her brow to make me continue.

"And that's it."

I returned to my contract and rubbed my chin. We definitely needed to do a few adjustments on it before I would agree to sign, that's for sure. And since Ana kept glaring at me, I put it away and leaned over to where she sat on the other end of the couch. Then I made a kissy face, wanting to kiss her cheek, but she pushed me away.

"Come on, baby. Don't be like that," I said and pouted a little, and I could see a tiny smile creeping over her lips. But she hid it well.

"If you don't tell me..." she started, but I cut her off.

"Can you just relax and let me take care of this? Sometimes it's okay to let others be in charge, you know."

I stroke her cheek and pulled at her lip to make her smile.

"But if you absolutely want to do something, you can pick out the colors on the napkins, decorations and which flowers to buy. And I need a list of all their friends and who you think would like to be a part of the celebration."

She looked thoughtful for a moment.

"So you're planning a surprise party, is that it?"

"Why not? Just pretend that you forgot the whole thing."

Ana started giggling.

"Well, that's pretty accurate. I kinda did. And when I finally remembered, I couldn't come up with anything. So now you need to tell me what you've planned."

"Nope. But what I do need is to take you out on a date," I said, got up and lifted her up in the air and kissed her. And she got so perplexed that she threw her arms around my neck and let out a startled scream.

"Put me down!" she shouted and started to laugh. Then she laughed even harder when I started to tickle her, until I almost dropped her to the ground because she was writhing so much.