Ch. 22: 30 days trial

I woke up to Michael stretching and yawning behind me. Then he pulled me back into the warmth of his body, and hummed into my hair.

"You're hired," he murmured, and made me giggle.

"What?"

"I haven't slept this good in ages, so you're officially my new sleeping pill."

I sighed.

"We barely slept at all, so if you don't mind, I'd like to get a few more hours in Neverland."

He chuckled, and kissed my shoulder.

"You can live at Neverland for the rest of your life, if you want."

I frowned and was about to ask what he was talking about, when I remembered the name of his ranch. Then I rolled my eyes, a little relieved he didn't see my face.

"You don't want that?" he asked when I didn't answer.

"I live in Madrid, and we just met. Now if you don't mind, I want to sleep."

He suddenly tickled me, and I groaned.

"Mmm... I like that sound," he said lowly into my ear.

"Let me hear it again."

Instead I squealed when he started tickling me for real, until I abruptly sat up and jumped out of bed.

"Oh, no. Not again..."

But not even three seconds later, I was clinging to the toilet like my life depended on it.

"God, I hate this," I mumbled, when Michael helped me up on trembling legs. Then he hugged me and kissed my temple, before he let me brush my teeth.

"I know. But at least you're up."

"I know where the bed is."

"Yes, but we need to get into the shower," he chuckled.

"We have an appointment in barely two hours. The ultrasound, remember?"

He embraced me from the behind and placed his large, warm hand on my stomach.

"I want to meet my little daughter or son."

Hearing him say that, stirred up a sudden storm of emotions inside me in a matter of seconds, and I pursed my lips and blinked my eyes to try to keep from crying. But I gave up with a huff when a tear escaped and rolled down my cheek.

"You can't say stuff like that," I exclaimed with a choked sob, and looked at myself in the mirror. I was painfully naked, and so was Michael. But it felt so natural that it almost freaked me out. And seeing his hand protecting the little one inside me, while he held my gaze, made me spontaneously turn around to hide my face in the crook of his neck.

"Aw, baby," he chuckled.

"You can't say that, either," I mumbled, and found myself blushing.

"What? Call you baby? I can if I want to."

Great. Now I was annoyed, too. Could this day start any more emotionally chaotic? I pulled away, even though I didn't really want to. I'd grown oddly familiar with having him close to my body, and I felt vulnerable alone. But I pretended like nothing, while I sniffled and wiped my tears.

"You can go first," I said and nodded towards the shower. But just as I was about to leave, he grabbed my waist again.

"Not so fast, Ms. Martinez. You're gonna join me."

I squinted at him.

"We're not having sex in the shower."

"Awe, why not?" he whined, and I could already see that his member started to come to life.