wildflower

701 words

701 words.

the boys had finished their fourth studio album only a few days ago and were having their first showing of it today. it was only to close friends and family, specifically 8 other people, but there was still an excited energy bubbling as everyone gathered into calum's living room.

you sat on the couch in calum's lap, your arms wrapped around his neck as his were around your waist. you had your head leaning on calum's shoulder, eyes closed as you breathed in the boy's scent. he'd be leaving for tour in only a few days, promoting their new album, and you were trying to soak up as much home that you had with the boy that you could.

"i'm so excited for you to hear it," calum whispered, his lips ghosting over your ear. tilting your head, you looked at, smiling as luke walked into the room.

"ok so unfortunately the speakers aren't working so calum i'm using your record player," luke said.

"fucks sake, man. last time you used that you broke it— let me." calum got up, setting your legs back down on the couch before walking over to luke and grabbing the vinyl from him. you watched as calum bent down, placing the needle on the large disc and slapping luke's hand away when he went to touch it.

"okay, may i present to you: calm." calum pressed play and it took a few seconds before the intro to red desert began playing.

calum sat back down, moving your legs so they rested over top of his lap. his hand rested on your bare thigh, rubbing up and down at you watched him, look around to see people's reactions. you had been in the studio for the production of red desert so you know how it sounded already.

the next song came and that was no shame, one that everyone in the room had already heard since it came out a couple months ago as a single, but everyone still loved it. then old me, then easier, teeth, and finally wildflower, a song that was coming out soon as a single but no one had heard yet.

once teeth ended, calum glanced over at you and leaned in to whisper, "i wrote this next one about you."

shocked, you looked at the boy. "the whole thing?"

he nodded, smiling proudly as he cupped your face, placing a kiss on your forehead. "the whole thing, baby."

as you listened, your head fell to calum's shoulder, your eyes closed. the song was good, really good. he'd never written a song about you — at least, that you knew of. none that he had ever made known, and sure as hell not a whole song.

the song had kind of an 80s vibe to it, and calum sang the whole thing. the song overall was incredible, and was definitely going to be your favourite off the record, even without listening to the whole thing. calum's voice sounded so good, and once the chorus struck, you sat up, looking at calum. he had duke in his lap, making his little paws move up and down with the music and you laughed, scratching the puppy's head.

"this is my favourite," you said, and calum looked at you with raised eyebrows. "like, i already know it'll be my favourite out of the whole thing."

calum smiled, "good." he cupped your face, leaning in to kiss you. you smiled against his lips, kissing him back sweetly. cheekily, calum deepened the kiss, slipping his tongue in and biting down on your lower lip. his hand reached around to grab the back of your neck, his other hand cupping your jaw.

you pulled away, letting your lips linger on his. "i wanna fuck you to this song, so bad."

calum pulled away in an instant, his eyebrows raised as he looked at you. he blinked a couple times, adjusting to the words that just left your lips. "you what?"

"you heard me."

the next song began playing and you turned to michael, who sat on the floor in front of you leaning against the couch, saying something about the album and leaving calum to his own thoughts.