coachella

word count: 1038

"hey, have you seen calum?" you said, wrapping an arm around sierra's shoulders

"hey, have you seen calum?" you said, wrapping an arm around sierra's shoulders. she shook her head, furrowing her eyebrows.

"no, why?"

"he said he was going to have a smoke but he's been gone a while." you frowned, retracting your hand to instead chew on your acrylics. you were never one to worry, but this was your first time at coachella. it always seemed so scary and intimidating online, you didn't know what to expect.

"i'm sure he's fine. have you texted him?" she asked. you nodded, checking your phone again; no new messages. "i'll ask lu. i'm sure he's fine, y/n."

sierra turned to her boyfriend and you sighed, wrapping your arms around your body. you knew calum; he wasn't one to wander off without telling you first. maybe his phone had died and he'd just forgotten where you and the group were.

suddenly, a pair of arms snaked around your waist, someone's breath hot on your neck as they spoke. "hey, beautiful."

you spun around, gasping before letting out a relieved breath. "for fuck's sake, calum! don't scare me like that."

"sorry, sorry," he said sheepishly, squeezing your hip. you crossed your arms. "hey, what's wrong?"

"nothing, i just— i'm a little anxious, is all. i was worried you'd gotten, like, murdered or something."

calum laughed, shaking his hand as his brought his hand up to cup your face. his thumb ran over your cheekbone, which had glitter scattered everywhere. "i'm fine, babe. you're worrying too much."

"i know, i know."

"come on, we can go chill for a little." calum clasped your fingers in his, pulling you away from the crowd and over to a spot not as swarmed with festival-goers. you didn't know the artist playing at that moment so you didn't mind missing the performance.

"come 'ere," calum mumbled, pulling you into his chest. you wrapped your arms around his torso, resting your head on his exposed chest, covered in glitter.

calum looked amazing that night. he was wearing a red and white hawaiian shirt, unbuttoned and exposing his tan stomach and chest. his skin was covered in glitter and dew from sweat (considering it was about 90° in palm springs) but he'd never looked better. he wore a pair of shorts with red and white checkered vans, matching his shirt. sunglasses were pushed up his head, holding back his blonde hair that was curly and frizzy from the humidity. he had glittered spread all over his body; his arms, chest, and cheeks were all covered in sparkles, courtesy of the giant bottle you'd brought for the two of you. you'd already gone through half of it and it was only the first day.

"your heart is racing, baby," you mumbled, feeling his heartbeat against your cheek.

"mm."

you and calum stayed like that for a few more minutes before the set was done. you pulled away, looking up at the boy. "the 1975 is playing next, right?"

"i think so."

"do you wanna go find sierra and lu?" you asked, lacing your fingers together. he hummed, placing a kiss on your forehead before pulling you toward the crowd.

by the time the 1975 began their set, the sky was already pitch black, littered with stars as bright as the moon above you. it was a perfect night, a little chilly but just enough to give everyone a break from the extreme heat from earlier. calum's arms were wrapped around your waist, your back pressed to his chest while his chin rested atop your head. matty's voice rang in your ears as the band played robbers, one of your favourites. you heard calum humming along, making you smile and squeeze his hand in your's.

calum's fingers tapped along to the bass line against your arm, his heart beating steadily. the song came to a close, and then the first notes of if i believe you came on.

your heart leapt at this and calum felt you perk up a little in his grasp.

"they're playing your song," he said, leaning over to whisper in your ear. you nodded, pulling away to smile at him. you were beaming; this was your absolute favourite song. you didn't expect them to play it live, as you've been to many of their concerts but hadn't heard them play it before.

"i'm gonna cry," you admitted. calum chuckled, pressing a gentle kiss to your lips just as matty began to sing softly.

"and i'm petrified of being alone now. it's pathetic, i know."

you hummed along to your favourite song by your favourite artist, your heart full as your favourite boy stood with you.

calum began playing an imaginary keyboard from beside you, making you giggle as tears pricked your eyes. he spun you around, holding you close to your chest before lacing your fingers together. he stared down at you, admiration and pure happiness sparkling in his chocolate brown eyes while he sang softly, his voice beautiful as you smiled.

"and if i believe you. will that make it stop?"

calum began swaying back and forth, slow dancing with you while he held your hand in his loosely. you wrapped an arm around his neck, tangling it through his hair at the back of his neck.

"if i told you i need you, is that what you want?"

you rested your head on calum's chest, feeling his heart pounding from inside it's rib cage as he sang softly. your eyes drifted closed, the only you focused on being the music and calum.

"if i'm lost now, then how can i find myself?"

sadly, the song slowly came to a close, you and calum holding each other while you swayed back and forth. once the song had ended, calum placed a finger under your chin, pressing a gentle kiss to your lips. you hummed, smiling against his lips. before you could kiss him back, calum pulled away. he had a serious look in his eyes.

you frowned. "what, baby?"

his eyebrows furrowed, a crease between his brows. calum stared at you with admiration, certainty, but also fear.

"cal, what is it?"

"i—" he paused. "y/n, i'm so fucking in love with you."