friends. part three

word count. 785

calum had made it quite clear that he was in it for the long run

calum had made it quite clear that he was in it for the long run. his words exactly. you were still a little unsure about the situation - of course you were. you're only 20 years old, and in no way ready to support another life let alone your own. but all calum's talk of starting a family and parenting a child got you to thinking. no, not thinking - fantasizing. by the time your doctor's appointment came, you and calum decided that you were gonna keep the kid.

"you're not pregnant."

okay, maybe you weren't gonna keep it. since it didn't exist.

"wait, what?" calum spoke up, his hand squeezing your's. to be completely honest, you were a little relieved at the doctor's news. sure, the thought of having a baby was exciting and sounded great, but the reality of it? quite the opposite, really. "what do you mean, she's not pregnant? maybe you should double check-"

"the tests ran negative." the doctor handed you a clipboard, which had too many big words and confusing diagrams for you to understand. "it may be a little early to be absolutely certain, but usually we get the most accurate results towards the beginning of the term. wait a few weeks, if your menstrual cycle is later than usual, take a pregnancy test. any other side effects and you come in immediately, okay?"

you nodded as calum stared down at the ground. you were dismissed from the doctor's office and you and calum stepped out. you slipped on your birks, looking up to calum who was staring at a poster on the wall. it was an advertisement for planned parenthood.

"cal, come on."

he mumbled a quick apology, sliding his vans on and following you outside. you slipped into the passenger seat of calum's car, leaning your head back against the seat as you waited for him. finally, the boy got in the driver's seat, buckling his seat belt as you rolled your head to the side, looking at him. he turned back, meeting your eyes.

"what?"

you chewed on your lower lip, darting your gaze between his chocolate eyes. "what... what would we have done? if i was pregnant. would we be together?"

calum furrowed his eyebrows. "what do you mean?"

sighing, you sat up in your seat and faced him, your legs crossed. "are we friends, calum?" he opened his mouth to speak, but you cut him off. "do we have feelings for each other? do you genuinely want a future with me, or are you only seeing it because there was a possibility?"

calum stayed quiet a moment, his gaze burning holes in your eyes.

"i don't want to be together because we have a kid, cal. i grew up with parents who fought everyday. it was clear to me from a very young age that my parents never loved each other and that's the one thing i remember about my childhood. so please, don't be with me because of this, calum. don't be with me because of a drunken mistake, or some shitty decision that we both made that ended up permanent. don't do that to our kid." he stayed quiet for a long time. so long that you weren't sure if he was going to answer at all. but then he kissed you.

calum kissed you softly, his hand cupping your cheek as his warm lips pressed against yours. before you had time to think, he pulled away, holding your cheek in hand while gazing into your eyes.

"i love you." calum's chocolate brown eyes poured into your's, his heart beating a mile per second as he uttered those words. those words that he'd been waiting to say to you, those words that you'd been waiting to hear from him.

"i love you too," you responded, cheeks flushed with heat as you held eye contact. calum ran the pad of his thumb over you cheekbone, eyes dancing across your face. you brought your hands up, cupping his face before pushing your lips onto his. "i love you, fuck."

calum hummed, smiling into the kiss as he pulled you closer. calum kissed you passionately, his stomach churning as he poured so much emotion into it. this was the kiss that you'd both dreamed of, ever since the day you first met. it was all leading up to this moment. the circumstances weren't as expected, but there couldn't have been a more perfect moment.

"i-- wait." calum pulled back, his lips swollen and eyes blinking at you in worry and anticipation. "what are we going to do if you're pregnant?"

"we'll cross that bridge once we get to it," you said, holding his hand.