promposal

word count: 932

prom. you hadn't been asked yet, and it was making you feel a little insecure and sad. you weren't the type of girl to cry over it, but it definitely hurt when every single one of your friends had dates and you didn't by the couple days before.

prom was friday and it was now monday. you'd accepted your fate by now; you were going to go alone. it was a statement, honestly. you didn't need a date for prom. it was only a stupid dance celebrating high school where most people would get either drunk or high and probably end up fucking in the bathroom. you wouldn't even been going if it wasn't for your best friend who'd bought you a ticket earlier in the month.

"hey, y/n?"

you were snapped out of your thoughts by a tapping on your shoulder. you turned around, locking eyes with the boy who sat behind you. his name was luke and he had bright blue eyes and curly blonde hair. you remember having a crush on him in the first grade.

"do you have a pencil?"

you nodded, turning back to grab a pencil for the boy. he thanked you, directing his attention to his notes. you sighed, sinking down in your seat as the algebra lesson continued on. even though you told yourself it wasn't a big deal, you were still sad about not having a date. it hurt that no one had asked you.

you still had a few days.

fast forward to wednesday. you were packing up your things from your history class, as the bell had just rang. it was now lunch, and you were going out with your friend michael. he was the only other person you knew that didn't have a prom date, only because he refused on supporting stupid events like high school dances. but michael has a girlfriend, crystal, so he wouldn't even be alone that night. that made you even sadder.

"hey, y/n!" someone called your name. confused, you turned around, seeing a familiar blonde headed boy running towards you. he handed you back your pencil, smiling. "thanks for the pencil."

"what—?"

"you gave it to me in algebra on monday," luke said, holding out the writing utensil. you took it with hesitation. "i forgot to give it back."

"oh, yeah. thanks, luke."

"no problem," he said with a smile. just before you were about to walk off, he grabbed your wrist. "so do you have a date to the dance yet?"

"um, no. i'm going with my friends."

"awesome!" he exclaimed. you frowned. "i mean, that's cool. the statement you're making. you know? like, prom doesn't have to be about a date. i mean, it totally can, though."

"yeah... listen i gotta go—"

"wait!" luke said. you were confused at the boy's sudden interest to talk to you. "um, did you get the algebra homework done from yesterday?"

"we didn't have any—"

luke glanced behind you. you spun to look at where he was but luke stopped you.

"i'll see you later, y/n."

"bye—?" you watched the blonde run down the hall. shaking your head, you tried to shake off the weird conversation you'd just had with a boy who barely mumbled one word to you in the past three years.

you continued down the hall to your locker, stopping when you saw a tall maori boy leaning beside it, arms crossed as he looked up at you. you wouldn't say that you were friends with calum, but you knew each other through other people. he was cute, very very pretty, but not very talkative you found. he was in a few of your classes last semester and one now.

as you walked to your locker, you realized that he was waiting for you.

"hey," you said, a bit confused as to what was happening. the boy stood up straight, running a hand through his hair as he muttered hello. you moved to open your locker, feeling calum's gaze on you as you dialled in the combination.

"y/n?" he said. you turned around, putting your books in the small shelf. "do you want to go to prom with me?"

your heart skipped a beat as you dropped your textbooks to the floor. a few students looked at you, making your cheeks blush as calum bent down to pick them up for you. "huh?"

"i know we aren't friends or anything," calum said, handing you your books, "but i've liked you for a while and i figured that prom was my best option."

"i..." you were shocked and at a loss for words.

"i know there no big proposal or anything but i tried to, like, break in your locker and leave something but then i realized i don't know your combination," calum said, scratching the back of his neck. you just watched him as he takes. "and i don't know anybody who does know your combination and i was trying to get luke to stall you after history while i thought of something but it just wasn't working. so i hope you don't mind me just asking you normally. but yeah, do you wanna go to prom with me?"

you opened your mouth but no words came out. never in your entire sixteen years of living did you ever think that you'd be going to prom with calum hood.

you nodded.

"cool," he smiled. calum nodded, backing away. "um, cool. yeah."

just before he could walk away, you stopped him. "don't you want my number or something?"

"oh right yeah!"