new years eve party

word count: 1234

the first time you met the love of your life, who most people know by the name calum hood, was at one of ashton's infamous new years eve parties

you'd known the sandy haired, curly headed aussie for what seemed like forever, though was only a few years. the two of you had met at a bar you worked at, one of his first nights in la. ashton had explained how all of his friends were underage, but more drunk than he was. you replied with a comment about how he shouldn't be telling that to the bartender serving his supposedly underage friends drinks, and he only laughed, mumbling an apology. ashton had gotten your number, and since then you'd been close. somehow, you both had a mutual agreement that you weren't interested in the other romantically, and it worked out well. it wasn't until the new year's eve party of 2018 that you formally met his best friend, though.

ashton always threw the best parties. you'd told this to your boyfriend of two years, ryan, and somehow convinced him to join you at this new years eve party. you went, kissed at midnight, got so drunk that you couldn't remember your way home, all the fun stuff that you expected would happen. what you didn't expect to happen, though, was for you to wake up next to ashton's best friend calum instead of your boyfriend.

immediately you freaked out, of course, as any sane person would do, and got yourself home as quick as possible. though when you got there, you unfortunately found your boyfriend with another girl. to say you were hurt would be an understatement, but once explaining the previous night with calum to your boyfriend, you both decided that you should see other people.

fast forward another year. same day, same party at ashton's. though this time you were single and very, very sober. all you wanted was a shot and maybe something to chase it down with.

"y/n, you made it!"

you glanced up the stairs to see ashton descending, a bright smile on the lad's face as he held out his arms for a hug. you let into the embrace, smiling as you pulled back.

"how are you? i feel like i haven't seen you in forever," ashton said, his arm wrapping around your shoulder as he led you to the kitchen.

"i'm good! how are you doing?"

"i'm great. let's get you a drink, yeah?" it wasn't too long before you were smashed, taking shots of tequila off someone's stomach or skinny dipping in ashton's hot tub. you were having a blast, even though you might not remember too much of it the next morning.

the clock struck 11:46 as you pulled yourself out of the water, feeling a towel being wrapped around you. you glanced back to see a familiar face, one you hadn't seen since the morning of january first.

"calum!" you exclaimed, smiling as he stood before you. you'd always liked calum. he was tall, handsome, insanely smart and very genuine. there wasn't a flaw about the boy. you always had a slight crush on him but no one had to know that.