peace and quiet

word count: 807

"calum! can you come get duke?" you called, scooting the dog away from you with your foot

"calum! can you come get duke?" you called, scooting the dog away from you with your foot. he barked, taking the action as playful and he began clawing at your leg. "duke, i'm busy."

he yapped some more, blinking up at you with his beatty eyes. you groaned, leaning down to pick up his toy before throwing it in the opposite direction. the dog chased the toy, leaving you be for a minute.

suddenly, calum stomped into the room, dropping a couple boxes on the ground with a loud sound, making you flinch. looking up from your books, you watched as the boy collapsed on the couch across the room from you. he turned on the tv, turning the volume up quite loudly. you cleared your throat.

"oh, babe, i thought you were out," calum said, not making an effort to greet you, let alone even tear his eyes off the television screen long enough to notice the scowl on your face. "how long have you been home?"

"a good hour."

he hummed, unbothered, and continued to fix his gaze on the television which was playing some basketball game, loudly. huffing under your breath, you stood up, packing up your books and headed outside to the deck. after a moment or two, the wind had picked up so you came back inside before your papers could be scattered all over the backyard. as you walked back into the dining room, you nearly tripped over the box that calum had left on the ground.

"fuck's sake!" you cursed, dropping your books on the table. calum sat up, peering over the couch to see what was the matter.

"you alright, babe?"

"i'm fine," you said, kicking the heavy box out of the way so you could get past. "what's in the box, cal?"

"mm, just some shit for mum. it was in the spare room," he answered simply and distracted. you sat back down at the table, putting your head in your hands as you stared down at the books on the table in front of you. for the past week, you hadn't been able to get any peace and quiet, whether it be around the house or even at the library. you were on your last year of university, which you took online, and had your final exams coming up, so you were trying to study. but it was hard when your boyfriend was a musician who wrote songs and played his guitar all day with his friends who were always loud and, to be frank, quite obnoxious at times. you just needed some peace and quiet for once.

"y/n? are you sure you're okay?" calum asked. his voice was closer now, as you looked up and realized he was leaning in the doorway of the kitchen. a worried expression washed over his features as he stared at you. "did i do something? i'm sorry about about the box-"

"no, it's not that," you brushed him off, standing up. "i'm fine, cal."

your boyfriend grabbed your arm, causing you to stop from walking to your bedroom. you sighed, turning around as he released you from his grip. his eyes poured into yours as you crossed your arms.

"baby, you can talk to me."

you bit your lip, looking up at him. you saw the concern in his eyes and couldn't resist; calum always had a way of making you give in. you sighed.

"my exams are soon-"

immediately, calum cursed, interrupting you as he backed away with his hands tangled in his hair. "fuck baby, i'm so sorry. i forgot. i've been so inconsiderate."

"no, cal, it's okay-"

"baby, i'm so sorry. i know how important this is." calum wrapped his arms around you, pulling you into a hug. you sighed, letting into the embraces as you rested your head on his chest. "fuck, i had no idea."

"it's okay. you had no way of knowing, anyway."

"yeah, unless i remembered the last sixty times you told me this past month. i'm the worst. i'm sorry, fuck." calum sighed, running a hand through your hair before pressing a kiss to your head. you pulled away, looking up at him as your arms wrapped around his waist. calum dipped down, planting a quick kiss on your lips. "how about i go to luke's for tonight, okay? i'll bring duke, petunia is in need of a friend anyway. that way you can have the house for yourself. quiet, no distractions."

"cal, it's fine-"

"baby, you need this. i won't stay overnight, just text me when you feel like you need a break and i'll come home, okay? please." calum reached up to tuck a stray piece of hair behind your ear, making you smile as his thumb caressed your cheek as he always did when swiping your hair away from your face. "is that a yes?"

"i don't deserve you."

calum scoffed. "that's complete bullshit and you know it."

snaking your arms around his neck, you smiled, standing on your tip-toes to kiss him on the lips. calum smiled back, deepening the kiss before pulling away. "i love you."

"i love you too."