taking risks

word count: 717

talk by khalid played loudly throughout the large villa which was flooded with thousands of party-goers, more than half of them drunk or stoned

talk by khalid played loudly throughout the large villa which was flooded with thousands of party-goers, more than half of them drunk or stoned. you'd only been there for a half hour, already tipsy as your friend you'd came with had disappeared upstairs with some boy ten minutes into arriving. at this time, you were sat against the wall, a red solo cup in hand as you watched the crowd of people grinding against each other to the music.

ashton always threw the best parties. usually there was an occasion; new year's, a birthday party. tonight was just for fun, as ashton had said it was 'a celebration of life in itself.' you weren't exactly sure what the man meant, but no one ever really did. you'd known ashton forever, having grown up beside each other in west sydney and moving out to la around the same time to pursue your dreams. it was funny how close you'd grown since moving away from each other.

"hey." someone was stood in front of you, offering his hand. you took it, glancing up at the boy. it was one of ashton's friends, calum. you didn't know the boy too well, but you'd definitely exchanged a few words before.

"hi," you said as calum helped you up. once you were stood upright, calum gave you a smile.

"you looked lonely. 'm guessing olivia found luke on the way in?" calum inferred, seeing as you were never without your best friend, and if you were she was most likely accompanied by the bright eyed blonde.

"yeah. good party though," you said, taking a sip of your drink. calum chuckled, nodding as he took a swig of his beer. he downed the bottle, nodding toward the kitchen.

"need a refill?"

you nodded, following the recently blonde boy into ashton's large kitchen. calum grabbed a beer from the fridge, but not before asking if you wanted one. once the two of you were joined by two coors lights, calum glanced back up at you. "did you want to head outside? i need a smoke, if you wouldn't mind keeping my company."

"no, not at all."

you and calum escaped out to the back patio where you leaned over the railing, looking out at the la city lights. calum lit up a cigarette, offering you one before you declined. the two of you stood in silence, listening to the muffled music from inside and the car whizzing past down below. it was beautiful in california, by far your favourite place in the world. ever since you were little you wanted to move here, and now that you were, you didn't know what to do but sit back and admire everything about los angeles.

it seemed you were deep in thought, as calum cleared his throat, shaking you from your own mind. "what are you thinking about?"

"oh, everything."

"yeah?" he tapped end of the cancer stick, watching the ash fall down to the yard below.

"i just love it here," you said, earning a hum of agreement from the boy. "city of dreams, yeah?"

he nodded, silent.

"it's like... here, i can do anything. back in sydney i wouldn't be able to do half the things i can do here," you rambled. calum only watched you in admiration; you didn't realize the boy studying all your features. "i feel like taking risks is what living here is all about. everyone who lives in los angeles is here for a reason — to chase their dreams. i mean, just the city in itself is a dream. i... i don't know what i'm saying anymore. i'm really drunk."

a smile perked up at the corners of calum's lips. he took one last drag of the cigarette before crushing it under his shoe. the maori boy turned to you, meeting your eyes as he cupped your face. calum pressed his lips to your's, completely catching you off guard as the boy kissed you.

he pulled only seconds after, leaving you surprised, to say at the least. your eyes glanced up to meet his own.

"living in la is all about taking risks, right?" calum said with a smirk. your lips curled up into a smile before you closed to gap between you, kissing the boy yourself now.