strangers slushies stars

word count. 1502.

you've been feeling off for a while now

you've been feeling off for a while now. it's not sad, nor happy; only a constant state of in between. you didn't have anything to look forward to or to be afraid of. that's probably why you took up a stranger's offer to get out of the bar you sat in every night for the past two weeks.

"didn't your momma ever tell you not to get in a car with a stranger?" he asked when you slammed the passenger door shut. you glanced over at the man, taking in his appearance.

"i could care less honestly."

he hummed, nodding before pulling out onto the road. once you were on the highway, he began to speak again.

"i'm calum."

"y/n."

"now we're not strangers. can you plug in the aux?" he asked, digging in his pocket to grab his phone, which he handed to you. calum explained which playlist to select, so you did so and set his phone down on the dashboard when you were finished.

test drive by joji began playing, the bass heavy as you felt it against the glass where your head rested.

"i don't want to take you home, y/n," calum said. you glanced at him, tilting your head slightly. "i've seen you in the same bar every night since i first arrived in the city two weeks ago and honestly, i just wanna know what's up with you."

"nothing is up with me," you mumbled, shutting your eyes as you listened to the music along with calum's voice.

"that's what i'm worried about."

at this you opened your eyes. sitting up, your gaze shifted to the boy driving as you cocked your head. "what?"

"i'm worried about you."

"calum, i've known you for thirty minutes," you said, lifting your thumb to your mouth to chew on the nail. he shrugged, tapping his long fingers across the steering wheel while shoulder checking to change lanes. "why are you worried about someone you've just met?"

"you want to kill yourself, y/n."

you frowned, crossing your arms before sinking back into the seat.

"i'm good at reading people, i'm told. i can tell when someone is hiding something, but you're not hiding anything. you've sat in that damned bar every night for two weeks — i just want to know why."

chewing on your lower lip, you watched out the window at cars passing by. it was pitch black, the only light coming from traffic on the freeway and the city, which was far behind you now.

"y/n."

you shifted in the seat, wrapping your arms around yourself. "it's a complicated story — one of which i'm not comfortable telling a stranger."