christmas dinner *

word count: 2581

"it's just christmas dinner, cal," you said, watching as the boy driving gripped his hands over the steering wheel

"it's just christmas dinner, cal," you said, watching as the boy driving gripped his hands over the steering wheel. his knuckles began turning white. "my family is chill. they'll love you."

"if i fuck this up—"

"which you won't."

"if i fuck this up," he repeated, "your parents will hate me and our relationship will go down the gutter."

"my brother likes you," you reminded him. calum shrugged. "c'mon, cal. you'll be fine. it's one night."

"they're gonna hate me."

"hey," you said softly, placing your hand over his on the gear shift. calum noticeably relaxed at your touch. "you're gonna be fine. i'll be right next to you the whole time. my parents will love you."

"thank you, baby."

kissing his hand lightly, you looked up at calum. quickly, he glanced at you, smiling small. before you knew it, calum was parking the car in your childhood home's driveway, warm fuzzies in your heart.

calum helped you out of the car, and the two of you walked up to your front door. knocking, you stepped back, calum's hands grasping onto your's. giggling, you looked at him, stealing a quick peck before your mom opened the door.

"you made it!" she exclaimed, the woman throwing her hands in the air. smiling widely, you let go of calum's hand only to throw your arms around your mother's neck, giving her a tight squeeze. "mm, i've missed you so much, y/n."

"you too, mom," you said with a smile. pulling away, you gestured to your boyfriend. "this is calum."

"yes! it's a pleasure to meet you finally, love." your mom greeted him with a hug, shocking the boy but you just smiled at him, nodding. slowly, calum gave in, soon squeezing her back.

"why don't we go inside, yeah?"

upon entering, calum clasped your fingers together again, making you smile. your brother was there with his fiancée and baby boy while your father was in the kitchen fixing up the table.

"calum!" your brother shouted. rolling your eyes, you took off your heels as the two guys reunited, a series of bro-hugs and 'how are you?'s being exchanged.

"say hi to calum but not your sister, why don't you," you said, earning a laugh from amelia, your soon to be sister in law. zachary only laughed, pulling you in for a tighter than normal hug. you struggled for air before he let you go, only to put you in a headlock. "let go of me, fucker."

"who taught you to swear like that?" he asked, ruffling your hair. "your parents must be pigs. were you raised in a barn?"

"that means you were too, dickhead," you groaned, slapping his hands away. he laughed, releasing you from his grip. "fuck you, zach. you ruined my hair."