picnic date

word count: 505

"cal," you whined, crossing your arms

"cal," you whined, crossing your arms. your boyfriend of only a month giggled from behind you, one hand on your waist as he continued leading you forward. "cal, let me see!"

"you can't! it's a surprise."

he continued to lead you somewhere with his other hand over your eyes. you couldn't see anything but black; the ground underneath your feet was rough and uneven, and every now and then you would trip over a rock and nearly fall on your face.

"calum!" you groaned, grasping onto the boy for support. he laughed, muttering an 'almost there' before he finally took his hand away. you squinted your eyes before smiling.

laid out on the ground in front of you was a red and white checkered cloth with a picnic basket set on top. the set up was right underneath a willow tree, the branches and leaves falling down around the area to shade the spot from the bright sunlight. you grinned, spinning around to see the same expression on his face with a light blush coating his cheeks.

"you mentioned something on our first date about having this infatuation with picnics, so i—"

you cut him off with a kiss, your arms wrapping around his. slowly, he brought his hands to your waist, kissing you back. "i didn't know if you'd like it..."

"i love it, cal," you mumbled onto his lips. pulling away, you grabbed his hand and dragged him toward the picnic blanket where you sat.

immediately, you opened the basket and saw all of your favourite snacks. he'd brought strawberries, little bread buns, and two of those little drinkable yogurts. he'd even gotten little snack packs of oreos, making you giggle.

"i don't think i've ever told you about my love of oreos, calum."

"lucky guess," he shrugged, picking out a package of his favourite cookie. you smiled, watching the boy for a while before digging in yourself.

the two of you sat together, a drinkable yogurt in your hand while calum munched on his cookies. you wanted to savour this moment forever, so you instinctively reached for your phone before remembering that calum had told you to leave it in the car, saying something about being 'unplugged' for the day. you liked his idea, just spending time with him, without the electronic distraction.

"what are you thinking about, babe?" calum asked, making you look at him. you shook your head.

"nothing. i'm just... enjoying this."

calum smiled, his eyes crinkling at the corners before he leaned in and pressed a kiss to your lips. his hand came up to cup your cheek, running his calloused thumb over your delicate skin while his lips worked against your's. his touch was soft, the kiss passionate as you melted under his embrace.

"i like you a lot, cal," you said once he pulled away. the smile had never left his lips as he looked back at you.

"the feeling is mutual, love." he licked his lips, grinning before pecking your lips once more.