comfort zone

word count: 1224

"are you sure i look okay?" you ask, cocking your head at yourself in the mirror

"are you sure i look okay?" you ask, cocking your head at yourself in the mirror. "i feel overdressed."

"you look fine," your roommate says from her place on the edge of your bed. she has her arms crossed, a look of reassurance but also impatience written across her face. "better overdressed than under-dressed, right?"

"i guess," you mumble, tugging at the bottom of your dress. "it's at his house, though. doesn't that mean, like, casual?"

"the more you worry, the later you're going to be."

"shit. what's the time?" you grab your phone from your dresser and curse. you're supposed to be at his house in ten minutes. "damnit. maybe this isn't a good idea-"

you begin to text the boy before your roommate takes your phone from your hands. "no way are you cancelling. come on, you look hot. he'll be begging to fuck you."

you sigh, looking at yourself once more in the mirror. sure, you don't look horrible. another layer of mascara and you'd be fine.

"okay." you nod, turning around to face your roommate. "i think i'm ready."

she smiles.

you arrive at the address given to you about a half hour later. it's quite a large property, fenced in with a circular driveway and hedges covering the view from the outside road. you know he has money, so you aren't too surprised when you see the large lot and expensive car in the driveway, but you're still a little awestruck that you know somebody famous. well, mutually, anyway.

your heels clack against the cobblestone driveway and you hold your breath until you get to the front door. you knock twice, fiddling with your jacket until the door opens.

the boy, of whom you haven't really met yet, stands before you. he's wearing a baby blue button up, black dress pants and quite expensive looking black boots. he wears a smile on his lips as he holds onto the door.

"y/n!" calum greets. his voice is smooth as silk, like he knows exactly what he is going to say next. "you look... you look amazing."

your cheeks flush with a crimson colour as you smile. "thank you. you do too. sorry i'm a little late."

"no worries, come in." he opens the door wider, allowing you to step in and admire the place. hardwood floors, light walls which make the house look bigger, along with the chandelier dangling above you two. "here, i'll take your coat."

"thank you."

calum leads you inside after hanging your coat up in the closet. you have to stop yourself from dropping your jaw at the large home, how beautifully structured it is. the two of you enter the kitchen, which has marble countertops and stainless steel appliances.

"are you vegetarian?" calum asks suddenly, snapping you out of your trance. you shake your head. "okay, good, because the only thing i know how to make is spaghetti and i completely forgot to ask if you eat meat or not."

you smile, leaning against the counter and crossing your arms. "do you cook a lot?"

"i'm learning," he answers, raising a hand through his dark curls. "so if it tastes awful, i'm sorry. do you?"

"every now and then."

he nods, moving to drain the pasta. you pull out your phone, texting your roommate that calum is even hotter in real life than in pictures, before slipping it back in your purse.

"so what did sierra say about me?" calum asks, turning around to pour the pasta noodles back in the pot. you laugh. "i'm going to assume it was good, considering you agreed to go on a date with me."

"honestly, she didn't say much."

"really? is that a good thing?"

"all she mentioned was that you're very reserved and afraid of love," you say. calum rolls his eyes, leaning back against the counter. "she also said you're really sweet and one of the most genuine people she's met. and that you deserve to be happy, since that's all you want for other people."

"so she told you that i'm a pussy when it comes to dating, but then proceeded to say that i'm a good person despite that."

"basically," you say. calum laughs, shaking his head before crossing his arms. "what did she say about me?"

"let's just say that she hyped you up a lot more than she did me."

you smile. "makes sense. i am her best friend. you're only her boyfriend's bandmate."

"only? oh come on, sierra loves me."

"she only loves you because luke loves you," you argue, making calum roll his eyes before turning up the heat on the stove. "see, you don't deny it."

"i've only known you for ten minutes and i can already tell that you are one of the most stubborn people i've met, y/n."

"is that such a bad thing?"

you and calum had finished eating about ten minutes ago, and now are cleaning up. calum refused on letting you help him do dishes, but you stood your ground. now, you both stand in the kitchen, a glass of wine in your hand as calum puts the last plate away.

"thank you for dinner, calum. it was surprisingly really good."

"what, you thought it was going to be bad?" he says, a fake frown on his face as he closes the cupboard. you shrug, taking a sip of your white wine. "i'm glad you liked it, because i actually poisoned it so now you're going to be dead in the next hour."

"oh no!" you sigh exaggeratedly.

"happens to the best of us," calum shrugs, grabbing the bottle of wine. he tops off your drink before finishing it in his glass. as he places the empty bottle down on the counter, he says, "but seriously, thank you for tonight."

"of course. i'm having a good time," you say with a smile. you take a sip from your glass as he speaks again.

"no, really. you have no idea how hesitant on this i was," he says. you cock your head to the side and he elaborates. "i'm not the biggest advocate on love or relationships. in all honesty, when sierra mentioned setting me up with her childhood best friend, i was less than thrilled. for the past few years i've wanted nothing to do with love. my last relationship was hell, and i've been scared of going through what i went through again. i'm terrified of having my heart broken, so i've just shut that whole option out of my life. but when i heard the way sierra talked about you, how amazing you sounded, i decided on giving the whole concept of dating a shot again. and i'm glad i did, because i really like you, y/n, even though it's only been like two hours. i guess what i'm trying to say is thank you for... helping me step out of my comfort zone again."

wrapping your arms around calum's neck, you pull him into a hug. he lets out a breath of relief, letting into the embrace before you pull away.

"if it's any constellation, i really like you too," you say, making calum smile. "and if you're up for it, i would love to see you again."

calum smiles. "i'm completely on board with that idea."