airplane mode

word count. 1712.

unfortunately for calum, his flight back to la from australia got cancelled. he was already in new york, ready to connect onto his plane straight to los angeles, when he was notified that his flight was cancelled due to over population of passengers. calum, who was alone in the new york airport and really just wanted to see his dog, sighed.

the closest they could get to his original time was an hour later, which honestly wasn't bad. but he'd have to fly coach, calum hated flying coach. it wasn't the fact that the seats weren't as comfortable or he actually had to pay for stuff — no, calum could deal with that. it was the people. he didn't want to talk to anybody, and he especially didn't want to get noticed by fans on his way home to la. but unfortunately, he didn't have much of an option.

"yeah, i'll take it." calum was handed his boarding pass and was on his way home.

fortunately for y/n, she was having no troubles getting to la. she resided in new york, going to school at nyu. she was on her way to la to meet with her manager. y/n hated calling herself this, but she was a social media influencer. she had a large following on instagram, along with twitter and tumblr, and ran a youtube account with nearly 6 million subscribers. she gave beauty and fashion advice to millions of fans, and was currently working on her bachelor's degree in fashion and design. that's what she was going to la for: she was starting a new project (for school but also for her career).

"passport and photo id, please."

handing the security guard her things, y/n smiled at the guard before taking them back. she headed onto the plane, looking down to find her seat. 16B. she spotted it halfway down the plane.

someone was already sitting in the window seat. they had a hood over their head, a beanie on and sunglasses.

y/n took her seat, slipping her phone and passport into the pocket of the seat in front of her. from there,  she fixed her hair into a bun, pushing her round-framed glasses up her nose before grabbing her phone. she went onto twitter, typing in an update.

see u soon, la. ✈️

y/n put her phone back, reaching down to grab her seatbelt. she slid it over her lap, clasping it into place before glancing beside her. the boy who sat in the chair next to her looked as if he was asleep, so she didn't want to bother him. but staring wasn't really bothering, was it?

he had on a pair of grey sweats and checkered vans, a black hoodie accompanying his torso. the hood wasn't pulled in, so y/n could see a bit of his face. he had a chiseled jaw with a little bit of stubble, and a few moles dotting his cheeks. his skin was tan, darker than y/n's. the boy looked so familiar, but she couldn't put her finger on where she knew him from.

"ladies and gentleman, this is your captain speaking..."

the flight from new york to los angeles was about six hours. of course, within that six hours, they served drinks and snacks. y/n only got a water, along with the boy beside her.

it was only an hour or so into the flight when y/n got to finally speak to the boy. or, at least, hear his voice.

as y/n grabbed her cup, the airplane hit a patch of turbulence, causing her water to splash over the rim of her cup. unfortunately, the liquid spilled much more than she expected, and she cursed. placing the cup back down on the tray, y/n muttered an apology to the boy sitting beside her.

"shit, i'm so sorry," she spluttered nervously, grabbing a few napkins to dab the boy's thigh, where she'd spilled some water. before she could realize what she was doing, y/n began rubbing the napkins over his leg. then she paused. "oh my god—"