trip

word count: 874

rolling over, you frowned, glancing at the alarm clock once more

rolling over, you frowned, glancing at the alarm clock once more. the time read 2:34 in the morning, about five hours past the time calum usually got home from the studio. he'd told you he was going to be home late, so you tried not to worry but there was still a speck of concern in the back of your head. calum told you not to stay up for him, but you couldn't help it. you slept better with your boyfriend of three years by your side.

suddenly, snapping you out of your thoughts, duke began barking wildly from outside of your bedroom. sighing, you rolled out of bed and creaked open the bedroom door hastily.

"duke, baby, what's wrong?" you asked, rubbing your eyes as they adjusted to the darkness. the dog continued yapping like crazy, which pied you off considering you'd already got a few noise complaints from neighbours. "shush, duke."

as you picked the fur baby up, the doorknob began rattling. your heart seemed to stop in your chest as you looked across the room to the front door of your apartment.

suddenly, banging sounded at the door. you flinched, causing duke to bark even louder. you heard your phone ringing from the bedroom. it was calum's ringtone.

slowly, you unlocked the door, peering outside. calum leaned against the door, stumbling inside as you opened it further. "jesus, cal. you scared me."

"sorry love, i forgot my key," calum muttered, running a hand through his hair. once the boy was inside, he was greeted by his dog. calum looked up from his seat on the floor with duke. "why are you still up, baby? it's nearly 3am."

"i couldn't sleep."

he sighed, standing up. cupping both your cheeks, calum pressed a sweet kiss to your lips, making you smile as you breathed in his scent. he pulled away all too quick, running his thumbs over your cheekbones. "i'm sorry i was at the studio for so long. but i have good news."

"yeah?" you picked duke up, walking down the hallway to your's and cal's bedroom. he hummed, following.

"we finished the record," calum announced, setting down his bag in the closet. you raised your eyebrows, sitting on the bed and duke ran in circles on your lap.

"already? i thought it wasn't expected to be done for a while."

"that's why i stayed so long today," he explained, and you nodded. "which means..."

"which means?"

"i was thinking we do something," calum proposed. you furrowed your eyebrows, egging him to go on. he lifted his shirt off, throwing it in the laundry hamper. calum turned to you, crossing his arms over his bare chest with only a pair of black sweatpants on now.

"like what?"

"you're gonna think i'm crazy, but i was thinking that we go to canada."

"calum!—" you were cut off by calum's hand being clamped against your mouth.

"i know, i know. canada is far. but baby you're always saying how you wanted to go to vancouver again. we can go on a road trip, visit your parents in seattle for a couple days—"

"calum i have to work!" you exclaimed, wiggling away from his grasp. calum sighed, biting his lip.

"well..."

"calum thomas hood what did you do?"

"i may or may not have called in advance and asked your boss to book you off for the next two weeks?" he said in a high pitched voice. your eyes widened, but before you could yell at him, calum clamped a hand over your mouth again, crouching in front of you while you sat on the bed. "i know you hate not working and i know you're gonna get mad at me but i have money and baby, you just got that raise, we can afford this and we just need time to ourselves like this— please, love."

calum lowered his hand. you weren't mad, of course — it was a generous offer. but you and calum had come to an agreement at the beginning of your relationship that you wouldn't rely on his job to pay your bills. you both worked; sure, he got paid much much more than your shitty little office job, but that didn't matter. calum acted quite modestly when it came to how rich he truly was, hence your small apartment and budgeted lifestyle.

"what about duke?" you asked. calum looked down at the pupper in your lap.

"we can have luke watch him," calum suggested. you bit your lip, looking down at the dog in your lap. you did like the idea of having a getaway with calum for a week or two. "you're thinking about it?"

"yeah."

"c'mon, love."

after a moment of silence, you sighed. calum kneeled in front of the bed, between your legs as you sat down with duke. his fingers danced across your bare thighs as your arms were crossed over your chest. you took a deep breath in before answering.

"fine."

the boy smiled. before you could say anything else, calum captured your lips in a kiss, quick yet passionate. he pulled away, beaming as he stood up.

"i'm so glad you said yes, because otherwise i'd have to unpack our suitcases."

"calum!"