study break

word count: 927

according to calum, this midterm was the end of his life

according to calum, this midterm was the end of his life. you thought he was overreacting, but he figured he'd be dead by the time he wrote it.

"y/n," the boy whined into the phone. "i can't do this anymore."

"baby it's only studying."

"please come over," he said. you sighed, looking at your alarm clock on your bedside table. it was nearly eight pm and you had a class at nine the next morning. luckily, calum's dorm was close to your professor's classroom.

"fine."

"i love you," he said through a smile. you giggled, saying it back before hanging up.

you decided to not change, sticking it with your grey sweatpants and calum's hoodie. after slipping on a pair of birkenstock's, you grabbed your keys and your phone and headed across campus to the building where calum's dorm was.

as you made your way up the stairs, you bumped into calum's roommate, luke.

"hey, y/n!" the boy greeted you. luke was probably one of the nicest human beings on the planet. he'd always been friendly to you, even before you and calum began dating. he was always up to give advice about literally anything or even just a simple smile to lift your spirits. "calum's freaking out."

"figured," you said, smiling and luke grinned. "where are you off to in such a rush?"

"going to stay the night at my girl's. i'm running late, though, seeing as i was caught up trying to talk calum down from a near panic attack," luke said, crossing his arms. you sighed. "i have to run, but i'm glad you're here. cal is really taking this exam to heart."

"alright. tell ari i say hi," you said. luke nodded, pulling you into a hug before running off. you bit your tongue, walking up the rest of the stairs to calum's dorm room. you let yourself in seeing as it was unlocked.

your boyfriend of six months sat at his desk, hunched over a stack of notebooks and textbooks. his glasses were slipping down his nose as he had a black hoodie on, the hood over his head, with a pair of basketball shorts on.

"cal?"

the boy flinched, looking up. you smiled as calum took out his earbuds.

"sorry to scare you."

"it's alright," he said, taking his phone out to pause his music. calum stood up, smiling softly as he wrapped his arms around you. you did the same, snaking your arms around his stomach as you rested your cheek to his chest. "how are you, baby?"

"i'm alright. how are you?" you asked, pulling away. he furrowed his eyebrows. "i ran into lu on the way in. he said you've been really stressed."

"yeah," calum reaches up to scratch the back of his neck. "i haven't slept in four days. i've been studying non stop."

"baby, that's not healthy. it's only a test."

"one that determines whether i pass or fail the class," he said with a sigh, collapsing back into his desk chair. you closed the door, walking over to calum. you wrapped your arms around him from behind, pressing a kiss to his neck. he hummed, leaning into your touch. "you're a good distraction."

"i'd be an even better one if you would close the books for a couple minutes."

"baby i can't," he whined. you sighed, standing up straight as calum spun around to face you.

"yes you can. you deserve a break. c'mon, just a few minutes." somehow, you convinced calum to walk away from his textbooks and join you on his small twin bed in the corner of the room.

calum collapses onto the mattress, sighing out in pleasure as his head hit the pillow. you frowned at the boy laying beside you; calum had always been a hard worker, and he was here on a scholarship so he always made sure to keep up his grades. but lately he'd been so stressed and you weren't sure why. you were soon to find out, though.

you rolled over, laying on your side to look at the boy. your hand slipped under his hoodie, drawing light circles on his warm skin. "baby?"

"yeah, love."

"what's on your mind?" you questioned. calum's eyes fluttered open to look at you. "you've been really distracted lately and stressed. it seems farther than school. is everything alright at home, babe?"

"i just don't want to lose this scholarship," calum said, looking at you. you frowned. "you saw how close i was to losing it due to my grades last year. i'm here on a free ride, babe. i need to do well."

"that's understandable," you said, leaning on your elbow. "but baby you're pushing yourself too hard. you haven't had a good sleep in a week. you owe that to yourself, calum."

he sighed.

"when's your exam? monday?" you asked. he nodded, closing his eyes. "i'll tell you what: i'll come over everyday after my classes and study with you. we can take breaks together and i'll even stay the night a couple times to make sure you get a good sleep. how does that sound?"

calum looked up at you. "you'll do that for me?"

"of course, baby. i hate seeing you this stressed," you said with a slight hint of sadness in your voice. calum bit his lip, sitting up. cupping your face, calum pressed a soft kiss to your lips, pulling away with a small smile.

"i love you so much y/n."