approval

word count: 569

you were just newly turned 20, only last week

you were just newly turned 20, only last week. you've been dating calum for a few months now, close to a year but not quite. he was 23, so the age difference wasn't too much but it was enough for your mother to worry. especially taking his career into account.

"mom, it's only a three year difference," you said, pinching the bridge of your nose while your elbow rested on the kitchen table. calum sat across from you, a worried expression written across his face. you looked up at him.

"i don't care, y/n. it's the equivalent to dating a senior in high school when you're a freshman."

"i'm not in high school, mom! i'm 20 years old!" you exclaimed, sitting back in your chair. calum cocked his head to the side and you waved him off.

"i know you are, y/n, but that doesn't mean you can't still be taken advantage of. especially by a famous rockstar who's three years older than you."

"he's not taking advantage of me," you argued. this spiked a reaction from calum.

abruptly, your boyfriend stood up from his chair. it scraped against the hardwood floor, the sound causing you to look up as you held your phone to your ear.

"she thinks i'm taking advantage of you?" calum asked, his eyebrows furrowed and his jaw clenched. he crossed his arms over his chest and you sighed, shaking your head.

"mom, i have to go—"

"y/n, i'm not finished with this conversation," she said sternly. usually, you would shrivel in fear of that tone. she would use it when you got in trouble as a little kid; the fear and disappointment that lingered in your chest as a child had never fully gone away.

"i'm sorry, i have to—"

"don't you dare hang up this phone, y/n."

you glanced up at calum. his eyes were glossy, and you knew it pained him the most knowing that your mother didn't approve of him. calum wasn't usually one to care what people thought about him; he was known by most of the population, so he'd learned not to be fazed by people's opinions. but his girlfriend's mother was another story.

"i'll call you back, mom." you hung up the phone, placing it on the table before standing up. "baby, i'm sorry—"

"no," he said, his voice fragile. "it's not your fault."

"she's just stubborn, cal. she's only looking out for me." you placed your hands on his biceps, running your fingers over his soft skin. "she'll come around."

calum sighed, his eyes darting between your's.

"i love you," you said assertively yet gently, "so much."

"i love you too."

your heart ached for calum as you gave him a small smile. if we're being honest, you weren't quite sure if your mom would come around, and really see calum the way that you do. she was the most stubborn woman you knew, but you had faith that she would accept him into your life.

calum brought his hand up to cup your cheek, running his thumb over your soft skin. his eyes were tired, a sad smile loose on his lips.

"come on," you said, squeezing his arm a little. "let's watch the office, i think i have some ice cream in the freezer."

calum chuckled lightheartedly, rolling his eyes before giving in and allowing you to pull him to the couch.