92: Reminiscing Her Nee-chan, Vislan

Ayato came back with a bag of groceries " I've got the groceries you guys want. "

Kurama ; arigatou.

Ayato ; no. It's fine.

Kurama takes out cash from the drawer " here. Is it enough ? " Ayato takes out a portion " more than enough. "

Kazoku comes out from the office " ayato senpai. " She goes to hug him " arigatou. Helping me. Mama dumped her work to me again. " He kisses her cheek " it's ok. I don't mind anyway. "

" Ayato nii !! " Aiko runs out " Ayato nii ! I want to go to the arcade. Bring me. Bring me !! "

Ayato : that's all fine, but have you asked for permission yet ?

Aiko : mmm... Papa...

Kurama ; ok. Sure. But do you remember what you have promised me ?

Aiko : no eating yokais ... Even if they're just bugs.

Kurama ; good girl. Mamoru!

Mamoru comes out " what is it ? Papa"

Kurama: they're going to the arcade. Do you want to follow ?

Mamoru :  ok. I want to buy some books though.

Kurama gives him some money.

Mamoru : I can only buy one like that. Sighs. Fine.

Aiko held onto ayato's hand " let's go. Let's go. "

Kazoku: have fun neh, aiko.

Aiko : um um. I'll win lots...!!! Of prizes come back and share them with nee-chan.

She strokes Aiko's head " then I'll look forward to them neh. "

Aiko : hai !!!
____________________________________

Arina: I'm back ! Oh. You're done with all the patients

Kazoku: mama. Um. The others are just usual patients where Papa can just give them medicine. They don't need treatment.

Arina : I see. Kazoku. How are you with using your eyes ?

Kazoku : well... It works. It's just, you didn't have these eyes when you were born right ? You said that you got yours from someone else. The ability to see into one's body. So how come I have it ?

Arina : my nee-chan had it. I took her eyes for myself. She never had much use for it since she was a battle type. It's probably by chance you got it while aiko and mamoru didn't.

Kazoku: I see.

Arina takes out the picture frame she placed on the cupboard " nee-chan..."

Picture of Vislan:

Kazoku: aunt Vislan was a gentle yokai ?

Arina : elegant. Understanding. Beautiful. Not gentle. After all, she's the strongest yokai in the family. She killed many yokais. She was so strong even father had to give her face. If she didn't die, she would have been next on the seat.

Kazoku: but she loved you very much right ?

Arina : nee-chan... Was a very practical yokai. She didn't think there was anything wrong with father drinking my blood. She did everything that could strengthen the family. But she also didn't tolerate my father's abuse to anyone. Because of nee-chan... I felt safe just for a while.

Kazoku: mama...

Arina dries her tears " but she's dead now. Alright. What do you want to eat ? I'll go make."
____________________________________

Aiko plays the car game while Ayato and mamoru watches from aside.

Ayato : aiko wants to play whack the mole later. We might have enough money for a snack.

Mamoru : we can't. Aiko might spoil the machine.

Ayato: you're a lot nii-san-like compared to her.

Mamoru: yokais grow up differently. There isn't a normal growing up cycle like humans. Though, there are stages.  Aiko-nee is a lot slower than me and kazoku-nee .

Ayato ; what stages ?

Mamoru : growing and final. That's it. You keep growing and then you just stay that size forever. Just like my mother, she's stuck at that size forever. That's her final stage.

Ayato: I see. Then... How about your kazoku-nee ?

Mamoru: She's already at her final stage, stuck with her current size and appearance forever. Aren't you lucky ? There are yokais who just keep growing and growing like you humans. Their final stage is an old hag. Be glad.

Ayato ; I can't tell if you're being sardonic or actually congratulating me.

Ayato ; how would I know ? I'm not a yokai.

Mamoru ; neh. Aren't you afraid of getting eaten by us ? We're yokais you know.

Ayato: well, in my eyes, you guys seem better off than certain humans. If one day, eating me can stave off kazoku's hunger, why not ? I want kazoku to live.

Mamoru ; eh...  Dreamy guy. That being said, do you think I'll find a human partner like kazoku-nee ?

Ayato : not sure. Why ? You think it's not bad to have a human as a partner after seeing me ?

Mamoru ; I guess... Humans are powerless. Yokais have abilities. Feels like a pain in the ass to deal with those.

Ayato: what's that ? You're a sadist ?

Mamoru sighs " or maybe I'll just find one I like."

Ayato ; you're still young. You think too much. Neh, mamoru. Is it just me? I think aiko has grown quite a bit.

Aiko was done with the game and comes to them " neh. I'm hungry. Let's go get some snacks. "

Mamoru: aiko-nee. How tall are you now ?

Aiko : hmm... Taller than the sunflower in our backyard!!

Mamoru hits her head " even I know that. "

Aiko ; pain !!! Hmph. The last time Papa helped me measure... I'm taller than mama just by a little bit. That was... 2 months ago.

Mamoru: didn't you measure again last week ?

Aiko : um... Papa said this might be my permanent size forever. How about you? Did you grow ?

Mamoru ; of course I grew !! I'm not going to end up like you and mama

Ayato ; ok ok. No fighting. Let's go eat fast food.

Aiko : hmph !!