“Why should I trust you when you can be demons?” Alpha hisses, his hands that are on his working desk clenched so tightly that his knuckles are turning white. “Demons can morph into anything.”

Augustus and I look at each other.

“How do you know that?” I ask sternly. “You Minotaurs weren’t supposed to know more than the gods and your own species.”

“That is none of your business.”

“It very well is,” Augustus roars. “Who gave you that piece of information, huh? If you do not tell us the truth, we better leave then. You can be on their side all this while, just like your Sonny.”

“What does Sonny have to do with this?” Alpha asks angrily, although I can see sorrow in his eyes. He did what he had to do.

Augustus groans out loud in frustration. We’re beating around the bush like a bunch of idiots. Alpha does not look like he wants to backdown anytime soon. I kind of expect it since Alphas never submit or show their weakness. They rarely ask for help, unless if they really are desperate. In this case, we really need their help. They are the only pack of Minotaurs I know of. The number of Minotaurs were declining over the years and one of the reasons why is because most human partners that are suited for Minotaurs do not accept their partners. I mean, from their perspective, the thought of being with a monster sounds repulsive to them.

I glance at my watch to see that it is going to be three in the afternoon soon. Mary’s plane is going to arrive anytime soon.

“It’s two-fifty. You should go pick Mary up while I talk to Alpha,” I tell Augustus.

His face contorts into a disbelief expression. “I’m not going to leave you alone in this house.”

The door knocks in a two synchronized knocks.

“Who’s there?” Alpha asks gruffly.

“It’s me, Alpha. I have arrived with the tea you requested,” Eleanor replies.

“Come in.”

What a great timing!

Eleanor enters the office with a blank face and hunched back. It is as if she is showing Alpha that she is his servant. It is strange to see her like this. Usually, she would be confident and a grin seems to be stuck on her face, unable to get out until you surgically remove it. I exaggerate at the surgery part.

“Eleanor,” I say, acknowledging her. I stand up. “Can you drive Augustus back to the city and to his precious car?”

“Melanie! If Eleanor and I leave, I can’t guarantee your safety,” Augustus says hotly, also jumping to his feet.

I give him a pointed look. “We have a guardian animal for a reason, Augustus. Plus, Mary is our only chance at leading us to a witch coven.”

“Hang Mary,” he says stubbornly even if I can see the concern in his eyes. “I refuse to leave you in such dangerous situation!”

“We won’t harm her in anyway, Mr. Augustus,” Alpha assures him, standing up as well.

“Why should I believe you?” Augustus asks. I realize that it is the same question Alpha asked us.

Alpha’s side of the mouth twitches like he’s about to smile. “I guess we just have to trust each other.”

Augustus shakes his head and then looks at me. “Fine, I’ll go. I’ll pick Mary up and book us room hotels in the city. After that, I’ll drive here as soon as I can.”

I smile. “Okay.”

He leans over to me, making my heart skip a beat. I can feel warmth radiating off him as I unconsciously lean towards Augustus. His dark eyes show an emotion that I’ve seen in Nate whenever he’s looking at Gwen. Before I know it, Augustus kisses my cheek and then step back.