Okay

Once Lina left the room, I stand in the training room wondering what just happened. Why does she react when I told her that my twin brother is alive? I distinctively remembered asking her about HQ agents who their family members are not a part of HQ. She told me it was rare, but they are some.

I also remembered not telling her anything about Nate until today.

Speaking of Nate… I sigh as I glance at the clock. It is already seven in the evening so it is time for me to call Mary and ask her about what’s happening at home.

First, I really need a shower. My white singlet is soaked with sweat after my brief training with Lina. I must admit, I’m glad I trained with Lina. I have learned all sorts of moves and more about demons.

Demons are basically creatures that are civilians in the Underworld who is ruled by the Dark Lord, also known as Hades. The demons living with humans without informing HQ or Zeus will be exterminated by demon hunters. Demon hunters are less fortunate than vampire or werewolf hunters because their lives are in danger all the time.

I asked Lina whether she has met a demon who is allowed with humans, which Lina said yes. She said she bumped into one and nearly ripped his throat out. Demons can disguise as a human and most demons are males. Without a disguise, demons are creatures with nude human bodies but in black colour, long fangs and leather-like wings.

‘Don’t forget about Nate,’ Anna reminds me.

Nate, I’ve almost forgotten about him. Anna has grown protective over our brother once she looks into my memories. Since we’re bonded, we have no secrets. She knows everything about me, from my obsession of Coke to my fear for talking gigantic biscuits.

Forget about the biscuits part…

“Nate,” I whisper to myself. I make my way to my room where my phone is at. My current phone is useless, unable to call anyone except Mary. I sigh, knowing that I shouldn’t complain.

I have better facilities than my fellow HQ agent trainees.

As I enter the elevator, I think of the direction to my room. On my way, maybe I can sneak into the same small room where Thomas was yelling at the two Doctors this morning.

Maybe I can obtain some information from there.

I frown as I remember the number of HQ agents passing by that area. Who knows I might bump into Mr. Grumpy Pants? I’m not planning to speak to him anytime soon after today’s events.

Sure, I get that he hates my guts because I’m going to be the next Director. He has every right to be. I would be if I was told that I’m going to be one until someone tells you that you’re just dreaming and that’s never going to happen.

Then again, what’s so great about being Director? I’ve seen how busy Thomas is, running around the HQ building with a phone in his hand and a distressed look plastered on his face.

I still wonder what is happening in Great York. Or the hybrids. Are they gone for good? Is Nate and Gwen still in danger? The guilt plunges itself in my heart like a leech. Is it a bad thing that I left them along to tend to their own problems while I am in a safe place, away from danger? Am I a bad sister to leave Nate in Meadow Falls alone?

Am I hated because of it?

That idea sickens me. I can’t bare the image of my twin brother, who has the same eyes and hair colour as me, looking at me as if I’m an alien.

What if he forgets me?

“Melanie?” Bobbi’s voice sets my consciousness back to reality, with concern painting in her eyes.

I blink a few times, aware that I am now in my floor, where all the HQ agent trainees’ dorm. I swallow the thick lump that seems to be stuck in my throat.

“Uh, hi, Bobbi,” I say with unsureness.

“Hi… So are you going to try out the interview tomorrow?” she asks, entering the elevator while I do the opposite.

“Yeah, I will. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” she says before the elevator closes. I sigh and turn to see the empty hallway. Everyone must be in their dorms right now, or at the cafeteria, or the library. The first thing I do once I enter my room is grab my phone and dial Mary’s number.

“Melanie,” she greets from the other line.

“How is he?” I ask with worry etching my voice. This is the same question I ask everyday every time I called Mary.

I hear someone shouts and curses while another laughing like a hyena. “Knock it off you two!” Mary shouts at them in annoyance.

“Come on, Mary! She started it!” the voice who was laughing says. It is a male voice.

“You idiot! Who is the jerk-face who throws jam in my face?” a female voice shoots back.

“It was blackcurrant!” the same male voice replies, chuckling.

There is a roar of fury and I hear loud thumps coming from the phone.

“I can’t believe you two are thirty-two; I swear a four-year-old is behaved better than the pair of you,” Mary comments, forgetting that I’m still on the phone.

“Mary?” I ask.

“Oh, sorry, Mel. I’m stuck with a pair of twins for the next twenty-four hours. Nate is okay, actually, he’s doing better. He’s slowly getting distracted by his mate and they’re going to get the baby soon,” Mary answers me.

I sigh in relief. “Thank you, Mary.”

“Hey, may I talk to her?” the male voice asks.

“No, you may – Hey!”

I hear Mary cursing at whoever is grabbing the phone from her and he says, “Hello, is this pizza delivery? I would like a pepperoni and cheese, extra-large.”

I chuckle as I reply, “Alright, sir, would you like a tint of acetone thiosemicarbazide and dichloromethylphenylsilane in your pizza as additional toppings?”

He does not answer for a moment before saying, “I like you.”

“Stupid butt-hole,” Mary’s voice rings through my ears when I hear the male voice cries out loud in pain.

“That hurts, Mary! Who is that, by the way? Is she taken?”

“None of your darn business,” Mary harshly tells him. “Sorry about Jake, Mel.”

“That’s okay,” I say calmly, not just to her, but also to myself.

Everything is going to be okay.

I’m glad that Nate is starting to accept the fact that I’m never going to be in his life again. No matter how desperately I want him to be in mine.

Author's Note

I'm sorry for the late update, guys! I have been sick this last few days. Again. I seriously hate getting sick, and my parents give me limited access to my laptop. Question: To all TWD fans, what is the name of Carol's daughter who eventually became a zombie?

Comment.

Vote.

Fan.

-M.