“What’s the plan then?” she asks me.

I glance at Augustus who is switching the channels on TV while I talk on the phone.

“We’re currently on the way to Newborough so do you think you can meet us there?” I ask.

“I’ll take the next flight there,” she promises. “What about the twins?”

I think about it for a while. “Send them to Meadow Falls. I’ll text you the address they are supposed to be and where we’ll meet in Newborough.”

“Okay. And Mel?”

“Yes?”

“Stay safe.” With that, she hangs up. I text the addresses to Mary and then call mum, informing her that Jake and Jane are arriving soon.

“I’m sorry about earlier, mum. How is Nate? He’s okay? What about Gwen?” I ask her.

“Nate is fine. The pack found him wandering in the woods close to Gurney City. I think that is where Thomas is hiding out while recruiting supernatural creatures on his side. Gwen has given birth just a few hours ago,” mum croaks.

“I want to see Victoria when I get back,” I sigh.

“That makes the both of us. Nate is acting strange though. It has nothing to do with being a new father… It’s just that, whenever he’s alone, he would wander into the woods as if looking for something. Something must have happened while he was kidnapped.”

“Did he say anything while he was kidnapped?” I ask.

“Nothing much. Just that a boy with a lion tattoo was one of his guards and a woman helped him escape.”

I feel my blood turning cold at the mention of that.

“Leo…” I whisper.

I notice Augustus tense up at the name.

“That proves it, Mel. He really is working for his uncle,” mum says.

I start to shake in anger. That boy is going to pay soon. My grip on the phone tightens, nearly cracking the screen. I quickly calm myself down by taking a few deep breaths.

“Anyway, I remembered that an HQ Agent used to be a witch hunter so she’ll be leading us to the coven. Augustus and I will be back a little later than we originally planned,” I tell mum.

“Let’s hope the witches are willing to help us,” she mumbles.

“And to cure you.”

“Mel,” she says sadly. “Witches are one of the most difficult creatures to deal with. Some of them practise dark magic, but have a good heart. Some of them could even take advantage of us. My curse is incurable.”

“Mum!” I chastise. “Don’t say that! We’ll get you back to normal again.”

“But with a price,” mum adds. “Witches likes to bargain. Let’s say if the eldest witch who knows how to reverse the curse asks for something that I can never pay. Maybe a life. Or even use my loved ones as slaves. I know you father; he would do anything to get me back to normal, even if he would sacrifice himself.”

“Mum, we need to have a little faith. Maybe some witches are nice.”

“We’ll worry about that later. I’ll call you tomorrow. Goodnight, darling. I love you.”

“I love you too, mum.”

I hand Augustus back his phone after the phone call.

“Thanks for lending me your phone,” I tell him sincerely.