Chapter 48

Camila's POV

I cried practically for 15 minutes, without stopping. The pain came with everything and my heart was shattered by thinking of all that Douglas still has to live.

I held on tight to the delicate fabric of Lauren's blouse, pressing it while the tears fell uncontrollably. With my lips trembling I pulled away from her, ran my hand over her face in the futile attempt to dry it. Lauren said nothing, didn't even ask why she was crying. She just stood there on the ground, picking up her role as my strength.

"Thank you. I'm better" I sobbed letting out the words with a hoarse voice.

She denied and took me again. I leaned into her body feeling the knot back to my throat and the burning in my eyes, convinced that it would not do me any good to make myself strong in front of one of the few people who knows me upside down.

"Lauren, he can't die" I murmured, crying again "I couldn't bear to go through that again"

She stroked my head and kept her lips fixed on my hair as I caressed them.

"Shhh... don't think about that..." she said and I closed my eyes "you have to believe"

Her words were so full of conviction that for a second I really believed that everything would be fine. I stayed a while longer with her, feeling her heat bring me a sense of protection, as if nothing could hurt me while her arms are around me.

She deserves an explanation of why I am like this and I gave it to her. I told her everything.

"You just have to have faith..." I drank some of the water that she kindly gave me.

Lauren's POV

"I always knew that it wouldn't be easy to carry this on my own... I learned that life isn't always a fairy tale as I thought before" I shook my head, meditating on her words. I didn't want to believe that she had killed Camila the dreamer that I learned to respect and love when I was still entangled with drugs.

"Lauren, I saw young people in pitiable conditions. You managed to get out of that world, but it's one in a million.. I witnessed the death of some and it hurt, even though I didn't have a strong attachment to the majority" she remained silent, taking a breath before continuing "but Douglas, he..." she took a deep breath, holding back the tears "he is special, I witnessed his case from close. I touched her hand, stroking her soft skin "he is an orphan, helpless, he found refuge in drugs. And then I wrap up in my clinic, he went so well and now..." her voice failed and she lowered her head, pressing my hand.

"I can't promise you that everything will be fine, but I guarantee that I will be by your side until the end..." the words came out without thinking, in the moment. I'm not even sure what will happen in a few days. But the idea of ​​getting away from her again became unbearable without me noticing.

She sighed and ran her hand furiously down her nose, rubbing it, then focused her gaze on mine and smiled frankly.

"Thank you" she whispered and I stroked her hair and smiled, showing her that it had been nothing.