Chapter 39

Camila's POV

I closed my eyes to feel her caress better, her perfume-as I could tell- it hadn't changed, maybe because it was just a familiar scent...

I would be lying if I say that I wasn't almost asleep, in the warmth of her arms I felt all the accumulated fatigue to find the deepest peace. I knew she wasn't going to let me wake up.

"Lauren..." I murmured, with a hoarse voice "I'm going to end up falling asleep."

She let out a small laugh and put a kiss on the top of my head. Fuck, how I needed those caresses that only she knows how to do... Her hands seem to have the exact need to touch me, it's so different from any other person I've been with.

Neither the women nor the guys I went through were able to make me feel what I feel with Lauren.

I transported myself to her. For the people who received the same care for the last five years. Involuntarily I pressed her arms even more with fear that she would let go of me, afraid that she was someone else's.

I took a deep breath and asked something I was not even sure I wanted to say.

"Are you dating anyone?"

She moved away from me, letting her arms fall to the sides of my body, at that moment I thought she remembered her boyfriend or girlfriend. I bit my lips, she saw her feet again, lingering in them, my anxiety increased. My stomach turned and I felt the enormous impulse to flee from there.

However, I stayed there, staring at her face, as if it wasn't so important to know.

"Come here" she said and took me gently by the hand until we sat on the sofa, leaving the plates behind. A heavy sigh escaped her lips before answering

"I was with a guy, but it didn't work. So I don't have a partner anymore" the relief came immediately "but I already had some cases. To be completely honest I tried to keep you as far as possible, I even refused to go to my parents' house, because it was as if each place had a bit of you" Now I realize that her hand is still on mine, I saw them again, it was enough for her to let go of me "so, without you in my thoughts, I got involved with several people... a few I considered them to be something more than a night. And to my friends I did not introduce them to almost anyone, becoming part of my life..." I don't know why she is telling me all this, but a very large part of me wanted to know. To know everything that she lived while she was away.

"Did you fell in love?" I closed my eyes while asking. The response came quickly and directly.

"No."

One part of me was happy with that, the other was still wrong because of what she just told me. I wanted to be the only one. I wanted her to think of me, to be martyred.

Selfishness? It can be

There were so many dreams, so many promises, and out of nowhere it was so easy for us to live without each other.

And now? now everything is strange, feelings overheating little by little, a confusion that does not have size, something that I can not even explain myself.

The day went by quickly, Lauren returned the attention in her book and I decided to go out and visit the area, when I realized the night had already fallen and with it a cold wind began to bother.

I ran my hands through my arms, in the failed attempt to warm up, the house was freezing and I found no trace of my partner for the place.

I sat next to the fireplace which wasn't lit and I stayed there until Lauren appeared, because of the strong perfume I imagined I was in the bathroom.

"Oh shit, you must be freezing" she exclaimed "this house is very cold" I nodded "I didn't think that the temperature was going to fall so much and I didn't go to look for wood to light the fire."

"Don't worry" I reasured her

"They say that a good drink helps remove the cold.." she commented, heading to the small wooden bar "what do you say?"

I had nothing to lose, not anymore.

"Yes, I think that's the way it is..." I smiled slightly "it's just not worth getting drunk" She began to laugh, while preparing something.

And before I knew it I was already stumbling on my feet when it came time to walk.

The room was spinning, partly because of the drink, and partly because I was circling in the center of it while laughing for anything Lauren said.

The truth is that;
She isn't better than me.