The Last Confrontation

Jason

"Do you think it's a good idea for us to be out in the open like this?" I asked Isabella and Kate. "What if someone recognizes us."

Isabella munched on a carrot and waved me off.

"They're like two people here and no offence but they don't look like the kind of people who obsess over the Callahans." Bella spoke as she eyed a man completely immersed in picking his nose.

I looked at Kate who was sitting next to me, absentmindedly stirring the soup she was working on.

I put my arm over her chair and smiled down at her.

"You okay?" I whispered.

She smiled back and nodded.

I remembered what Harry said about her pretending to hold it together for our sake.

I needed to get her out of here soon.

The only issue right now was breaking the news to Bella.

I wanted it to be in a public place but it became obvious that this place's restaurant wasn't somewhere I'd call 'public'.

And Bella could still cause a scene if she wasn't happy.

"So, now can we talk about where we go next?" Isabella asked as she took a sip of her juice.

I tensed up at the question and looked away from her.

"Shouldn't we wait for Alex?" Kate asked. "Where is he?" She frowned.

"He's resting up in our room." I responded not wanting to mention that I had given him something for the pain from his shot after I had patched him up. He was probably still sleeping it off.

"Well we can start without him." Isabella spoke. "I think the best course of action at this point is to leave the country. I have a friend who owns an airport back in Dallas. He has all these private jets and small planes that we could use."

I looked at Kate who was listening attentively to the suggestion.

I sighed. It was now or never.

I turned to face Bella.

"Harry and I were talking and... We think it's best if we go our separate ways." I voiced out.

Bella froze.

"What?" Kate asked. "What's that supposed to mean?"

I turned to face her and took her hand in mine.

"It means you and me do what we've been planning to do all this time. We run away together."

Kate opened her mouth to say something then closed it again. She looked behind me at Isabella.
"We can't just leave Isa and Alex." She told me in a hushed voice even though Isabella could obviously hear us.

"This was Harry's idea." I revealed to her.

This really seemed to take her by surprise.

She gaped.

"I-it was?"

"Unbelievable." Isabella muttered before sliding out of her seat and storming out the door leading outside.

Kate just sat there quietly seeming deep in thought.

I scooted closer to her and placed my hands on hers which were laid out on the table.