Knowing your place

"Qu'allons nous faire?"

"Je n'ai aucune idée! Nous venons."

I was awoken by the sound of people bickering.
It only took a few seconds for me to figure out that it was Isa and Alex.

I sat up in bed trying to hear what they were saying but I found myself not understanding a word. They were speaking another language that sounded a lot like French.

It was still dark out so I assumed it was really early in the morning,

Everything that happened yesterday suddenly came back in a rush.
I ran a hand down my face. What I would give to have all that turn out to just have been a horrible nightmare.

But looking down at my clothes and knowing I had been wearing them yesterday only popped my little fantasy bubble.

I remembered everything. Jason Callahan showing up... him pointing a gun at me. I shuddered. All that had really happened just some hours ago. Not even a whole day ago. I could have died.

How was I supposed to live like this especially with what Alex had told me about his family... was that real? Was the famous billionaire family a group of dangerous people?

And is so, how could I get myself involved in all that.

The ultimatum that Jason gave Alex rang in my head. He said something about a jet and leaving...

I looked around the room and there was no suitcase in sight or even a sign that we were leaving.

The images from yesterday kept coming back in flashes.
I put my forehead to my palms. A man had a gun to my head but not just any man, Jason Callahan, the same guy who is number three on People's magazine's hottest eligible bachelor's list.

Yesterday, my life took a sudden turn, I learnt that two people who I thought I knew are different people all together and that the Callahans, one of the most influential and trusted families in the country are actually dirty and bad people.

I swung my legs off the bed into my slippers.

The argument was still as heated as before. I stomped up to the door not able to take the yelling anymore. The minute it swung open, both Alex and Isabella shut up.

They both just stared at me for a moment before Isabella spoke.

"Morning." She greeted.

"Morning." I muttered. I still didn't completely forgive her. I get that she had no choice but the way she played me...

Alex might have lied to me about his family but Isa made up a whole story recreating her background trying to gain empathy from me by playing the 'orphan' card.

Alex walked up to me, he put his arm around my waist and kissed my forehead.
He does this all the time but for some reason, it felt different this morning.

"The jet leaves in about two hours. Jason is sending someone to pick us up." He told me.
The words sounded so weird coming from his mouth. They are not words a simple girl like me would ever think she'd hear in her life.
Jason Callahan.
Private jet

"I should probably start packing then." I said avoiding eye contact with Isa.

"No need. We're actually leaving a majority of our stuff behind. Jason is going to come over and get rid of them. It's better to get new clothes in new areas so that people don't recognise you easily."

I don't know why he thought I wouldn't want to be recognised. What's the worst that could happen. Besides it's not like you would run into anyone from Florence out of Florence.