Punishments

Jason

Sometimes it was hard to tell who the scariest person in the room was.

My eyes scanned the people sitting around the circular arranged tables that surrounded me.

There was my mother, Anthony had nicknamed her 'the ice queen' specifically for the look she had on her face right now. Cold and void of any emotion. I couldn't read her mind but I knew for a fact that she wasn't at all happy about what I had done with Kate. Especially after the little stunt she pulled with Dr Rowans.

And speaking of the second most evil woman in the room.

Dr Rowans sat to my left, right next to probably another person most people were afraid of, but not me.

My whole life, all I had been allowed to know him as was Mr Grey.

It wasn't until I turned twelve that I actually learnt what Mr Grey did.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. Mostly because twelve year olds should never have to witness what I witnessed.

I remember how he had arrived at my father's house and told me that he was taking me out for icecream.

Of course being an eager child whose mother never let eat unhealthy things like icecream, I jumped at the opportunity.

You could just imagine my surprise when we arrived at some strange mansion instead.

I remember him telling me that we would get icecream right after he took care of some business.

Inside we found a man I did not recognise sitting in his office.

Mr Grey told me to sit down and I watched as the two men conversed like the old friends.
And that's exactly what I thought they were, old friends.

At least, that's until Mr Grey took out a knife and started torturing the man.

That was when he told me exactly who he was, my father's personal torturer. No questions asked. And that was also my first lesson as a Callahan. Follow the Boss' orders. Do not ask any questions.

Next to him sat the only living man from my grandfather's council. Royce McGregor.

He might have been old but trust me when i say, you should not ever underestimate him.

Then there were my uncles, or the ones that were still alive sitting on my right.

My father's cousins.

Uncle Russell and Uncle Munez.

Also the reason I never exactly had a normal childhood.

While most Uncles took their nephews to sports games, I had the privilege of accompanying them on their jobs which were always more gruesome than the last.

Speaking of gruesome Uncles.... Uncle Benjamin was one of the three people sat at the main table. The man who wasn't even related to my father but was still his most trusted friend and partner. The man who taught me how to fight and was the reason I always had bruises and cuts on my body.

You'd be stupid to think that he could ever go easy on you even if he had known you since you were a kid.

Heck, even Isabella suffered through his intense training.

Anthony, Bella, Harry and I would sometimes try to figure out which of the four men was to be feared the most.

Then we would remember that the person to be feared wasn't in fact one of our uncles but the man we had all grown up fearing.