Not so accidental

"Gorgeous, darling. You were gorgeous." Diane breathed out as she pushed her way past people to get to me.

"Thanks." I muttered though I was still trying to sort through my nerves. I had just walked down the runway not even a few minutes ago and my heart still rushed from the experience. "But you're the real star here." I told her.

"Oh stop being so modest!" Diane exclaimed. "Honey, sure my dress was gorgeous but you are what completed the look. You are the one who pulled it all off." She gushed.

I took part in a beauty pageant that even the mayor attended but walking down this runway was nothing like that.

At the pageant, there had been glitter and balloons and tiaras and a cheering audience.

Here it was so formal and sophisticated. Everyone in the audience was high class and not easily amused. There was no cheering or clapping. Well, there wasn't for the other girls.

I was wearing the headliner dress so of course I had to go in after all the other models.
But when I walked in, it's something all my rehearsals couldn't prepare me for, people actually clapped and some even stood up. I was sure it was for the dress. In fact I still am but the gesture still caught me off guard.

I felt like I was taking credit for all Diane's work. Sure at the end, following custom, Diane and I walked down the runway together. Then we really got a wild reception. Everyone stood up for us, even Mrs Callahan, Farah and Miranda who were by far the most important people in the room.

My mind was still rushing from everything that happened after that.

I was dragged and paraded around by Betsy who insisted I take picture after picture. Different A list celebrities and designers approached me. Some praising me for my beauty and grace, others making me promise I'd be in their next fashion shows.

Of course there was paparazzi who insisted on asking me questions about Jason.

Jason...

I was hoping he might have changed his mind and appeared in the audience but he didn't.
I didn't know if this meant the plan was really over but quite frankly I didn't care. He almost kissed me...
Not because there was paparazzi around or because anyone was watching.
He almost kissed me while we were just the two of us. Because he had wanted to.
That had to mean something.

The biggest surprise of my day came when Mrs Callahan smiled at me and wrapped me in a hug.

Next thing I knew I was being pulled in front of a camera by Miranda. Photos were taken of me with Mrs Callahan, Farah and Miranda.

The paparazzi really went wild for this.

I was asked if this meant I was officially a member of the Callahan family.

It all made me feel awkward, really.

I kept searching around, looking for a familiar face in this crowd. Looking for someone I knew and could trust. But all I saw was Mrs Callahan' and Farah's fake pearly white smiles.

The other models had been cast in the background and were shooting me murderous glares.

People all around who didn't know me were yelling out my name hopping to find out my deepest darkest secrets no doubt.

I just couldn't take it. I was overwhelmed. I felt like I was drowning underneath the flashing lights.

Nothing seemed real. I kept being dragged all over the room.
It was like I was trying to grasp something solid but it would just as soon slip away or disappear causing me to fall towards another temporary thing.
Even surrounded by all these people giving me all this attention, I felt alone.
I thought it would never end. I wasn't keeping track of time so hours could have gone by for all I knew.
But finally, Lisa came up to me and told me I could take off the gown. She seemed to be in an even worse mood after the altercation with Jason. She chose to give me the silent treatment and I was honestly okay with not being yelled at anymore.