The Puppet

"How does this one make you feel?" Dr Rowan's asked as she raised some weird blotchy painting to my face.

I just blinked at it and clenched my fist trying not to lash out at her. "I'm not going to spend another minute telling you how a six year old's art project 'makes me feel'."

She sighed. "Jason, you're being hostile."

I rolled my eyes. "Then write it in your little report and show it to my mother. Isn't that why she's paying you? To confirm that there's something wrong with me?"

"Jason, I've been your therapist since you were a child." The grey haired lady spoke up.

"So you should know by now that I'm not going to talk about my feelings."

"Yes, I know but I can only hope." She let out.

"Keep hoping, doc." I muttered as I sank back in the seat. It was the same thing over and over again. I didn't always need a shrink. My mother kept Dr Rowans around simply because she trusted her and only her to evaluate her family and it was mandatory to see her every month. Then Isabella left and my visits with her grew more frequent.

"Jason, you're appearing before the council tomorrow and I happen to be on that council. I have the power to make your punishment much more tolerable.''

''I've been appearing before the Council since I  was eleven and you've never once been linient with me so why would you start now?''

"The hell with it." She spoke as she let out a sigh, finally giving up. and picked up her cup of tea. "At this point, I'm just getting paid to look at you. So how's life, Jason? I heard you got a new girlfriend. What's she like?"

Oh if only she knew how many choice words I had for my 'new girlfriend'. I didn't get her. I just didn't.

Why wasn't she afraid of me? God knows I tried everything I could to make her fear me but no... she still insisted on being 'nice'. No one was ever that kind and forgiving. She must have had an end game. Even though she didn't let on I knew that there must have been something behind her actions. A hidden motive maybe. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

"She's okay." I simply said.

Dr Rowans rose her brows at me. "Just okay? You're breaking a lot of your rules for this girl and that's all you have to say?"

I knew that everything I told her would eventually just go to my mother anyway. There was no such thing as doctor-patient confidentiality here.

"Well she has a face, breasts and a vagina, she's a girl... I don't see why there should be anything else. It's not like I have any say in who I end up with in the end anyway."

Dr Rowans pursed her lips. "Sounds like you're upset about your arranged marriage. That's strange. I thought you loved Isabella."

I just leaned back in my seat. "Nice try doc but I'm not talking about Bella either. Tell me, does my mother give you a list of discussion points or is there some sort of comms unit in your ear that she's using to tell you what to say."

She sighed. "I just want to help, Jason."

"Maybe I don't need help."

"Jason, I know this is about Isabella."

"Or maybe it's about my mother and how she feels the need to prove that her son is some mental freak."

"I know how much Isabella meant to you. I know that you felt like you betrayed her after the incident with Ethan-"

"I especially don't want to talk about that." I spat.

Dr Rowans gave me an empathetic look. "But I think you should." She leaned forward. "I know how you feel and-"

I shot forward and slammed my fist on her desk. "No you don't. You weren't there when it went down. You can never understand how it felt to make that call."

She didn't even flinch at my reaction. Years of working with the Callahan family had made her immune to violence. She still spotted a nasty fading scar down her face from an incident with one of my late uncles.

"I know you still blame yourself about what happened but I want you to know that you couldn't have controlled any of it, Jason. You need to learn to forgive yourself."

I sank back in my seat and sighed. "I don't know how to do that."

Dr Rowans slid a brown file at me. "Maybe this will help."

I picked up the file and opened it on my lap. I immediately froze when I saw the familiar photo.''

I immediately came to my senses and shut it immediately. ''I'm not supposed to see this. You know that.''

Dr Rolan's nodded. ''I know but I really think this can help you heal. I won't say a word if  you won't.''

I let out a humourless laugh and tossed the file onto the table. ''Is my mother really that desperate? This is low. Even for her. I will not invade Bella's personal thoughts and feelings and it's disgusting that either of you would even suggest that.''

I got up and turned to burst out of the room. Rage consumed me and it was directed at one person. No, two. They were a team afterall. I clenched my fist as I walked out the office. Here they were again, trying to control me and all that I did.

But compromising Bella. That was going way too far. I wanted revenge.

I needed to show them that I wasn't just a pawn in their games. I refused to be used. And I knew just how to do it.

I got into the back of the SUV and slid on my sunglasses. ''Joey. Take me to Miss King's apartment.''