Escape Plan

My hand is wrapped tightly around Jason's. I feel like he's radiating nervousness if that's even possible. But then again, it's probably just me.

He's doing that thing where he obsessively drums his fingers against something.

In this case, it's the SUV's door.

I look at his face and it looks calculating and thoughtful.
Then again it always does. But I know better than to think he's just stressing about some family issues. He's stressing about us.

About our escape.
He's thinking up all the ways we can do it as inconspicuously as possible.
He's thinking of how not to alert or tip off his family. He's thinking of places he knows his family won't be able to read us.

He has fake passports and fake drivers licenses in mind and new identities... everything is running through his head at once and I feel so helpless watching him do all the work.

But he gave me one specific instruction.

Act normal.
And I happened to be sucking at that one too. 

You'd think after being directly threatened not once but twice by the Callahan family that I would have learned to keep my composure by now. But I fidgeted often and as much as I wanted to keep my hand clasped in Jason's, I hand to slip it out of his hold and wipe my palms on my jeans often because of how sweaty they were becoming.

We go back to New York.

He sees Anthony.

He handles some last minute business.

We stay there a week, at the most two, then we're done.
Then we can go.
Then we're free of the Callahans and Dean and everyone.

That's it.

Then why does it still feel so complicated?

We've pulled up to the Callahans estate.

I'm holding on to Jason's hand tighter than ever now.

I didn't want to have to come but he insisted that it would look more suspicious if I didn't.

Our cover story was that we had escaped to one of Jason's private beaches in Miami so that we could be alone.

That was the story. All I had to do was stick to it.

Greg opened the back door for us to exit.

Jason slipped out first, then me. Our hands never leaving each others.

Jason dismissed Greg and told him that he would call when he needed him.

I noted that there were many more guards around the house.

Increasing security.

Jason nodded at each of them as we walked up the staircase leading to the front door.

I grew more and more nervous as we approached the entrance.

Jason seemed to notice because he paused just outside the door.

He turned to face me and placed a hand on our already intertwined ones.

He looked into my eyes. "Take a deep breath, okay? This will all be over soon."

I obeyed and inhaled.

Jason smirked. "You can breathe out now."

I forgot that I was holding my breath in. I relaxed my shoulders and breathed out.