Final Tests

I felt like I was in a council meeting. It was the same layout as all the council meetings.

We were in the same room all the council meetings took place in. The same people who participated in the council meetings were here.

Well everyone except Anthony. He was still resting. His seat was currently occupied by Harry.
And for once, I wasn't subjected to the seat in the center of the room where I usually found myself when I awaited my verdict for whatever crime I might have committed at the time.

Instead, I sat right beside Harry and in the chair in the center sat a guy I didn't recognize but who who I was told supervised one of our shipments in Maine.

He was bloody and beaten up but my father simply strolled in front of him casually as if he were a student he was lecturing.

"I don't do well with liars, Torres." He spoke.

We all watched silently as the guy whimpered for mercy promising he didn't know anything.
The Boss looked at Uncle Benjamin who stood behind him.

"We don't show mercy to traitors. The workers there report that they saw him meeting with various mysterious men leading up to the attack." Uncle Ben spoke.

"I agree. If the scum won't talk, put a bullet in his head." Royce added.

Uncle Munez and Uncle Russel nodded in agreement.

"You're right." The Boss told them. "Traitors have no place in my family or my business."

The guy looked up at him in fear.

The Boss didn't take his eyes off him. Sometimes I really believe he feeds off of the fear of others.

"Harry." He called.

Harry suddenly perked up from beside me.

Of course he hadn't been talking to me the whole time and I didn't expect him to but I had been watching him out of the corner of my eye and saw how uncomfortable he had been through the whole experience.

"Yes, sir." Harry responded.

The Boss gestured for him to come forward.

Harry obliged without question.

He stood beside the Boss, right next to Uncle Benjamin.

"The Callahan Dynasty wasn't built so that it could be torn apart by jealous and pathetic idiots who think they can rival me. This man clearly betrayed our family name. What do you think we should do?" He asked.

I knew what this was. The Boss was testing him. After all he had been through, his loyalty to the family was still left to be proven. This was the ultimate test.

Harry looked at the guy with a serious expression on his face.
Don't look away. I thought to myself.
If you look away you're showing weakness. Look at his beaten up and bloody face and don't you dare look away.

But he did. The idiot looked away!

Really? I wanted to yell.
Haven't you learnt anything?

He placed his hands behind his back.
"As you said, Uncle Frank, traitors have no place among us."

The Boss almost smirked as he strolled around the guy who was barely keeping his head up.

"So you agree, we should put a bullet in his head?"

Harry remained standing stiffly and at attention. I could tell he was trying hard not to show any emotion.