Trust

"Why are they singing?" Isabella whined.

I rolled my eyes, we were watching the Disney movie, Enchanted and Isabella was acting exactly the way I expected her to, making comments and criticising every single thing the characters did.

"Dude, we all know you love her! Just tell her already! Stop being such a whimp! Oh dios mio! idiota!" She threw her hands up in exasperation.

I understand a little bit of Spanish from the classes I took in high school so I'm usually able to comprehend the things Isabella says.

"Hey, missy, you're the one who suggested this so shut up." I told her tossing a kernel of popcorn her way. It missed her and she stuck her tongue out at me.

She sighed remorsefully. "I know! But why do people always have to be so dramatic? It's so annoying." She dug into the bowl of popcorn that I was holding. "it would be so much easier if people just came out with things instead of making a big deal of it all and complicating life."

"Now where's the fun in that?" I asked as I tossed a kernel into my mouth. "Most girls live for big romantic gestures."

Isabella let out a dramatic groan.

"Sólo pienso que es estúpido." (I just think it's stupid.)

"You're just saying that because you haven't met your Príncipe Encantador (Prince charming)" I spoke trying my luck at Spanish but not being able to sound nearly as fluent as Isabella who is more than experienced because she comes from a Latino home.

"There's no such thing as 'prince charming'. Every guy is a douche bag." she announced.

"Hey! What about Alex?" I asked my tone defensive.

She shrugged. "What about Alex?"

"His perfect in my books." I said.

Isabella let out a funny sound from her throat.

I rose my brows at her in inquisition.

"I'm just saying Kate, everyone has their dirty little secrets, even Alex."

Curiosity took over me. Was that what they were whispering about this morning? Did Alex confide in Isabella about a secret?

What if he's cheating on me and he told her? I know Isabella is my good friend but she's been Alex's friend longer so she's more loyal to him, right?

"Do you know something Isa?" I asked seriously.

She looked away, trying to avoid eye contact with me and let out a laugh. "Why so serious all of a sudden? Let's just get on with your stupid movie." She spoke trying to lighten the atmosphere but the tension had already stuck.

"Isa, is Alex...." I swallowed too scared to ask. "Is he cheating on me?"

Isabellas green eyes widened. "What? God no! Why would you even think that?"

I looked away feeling ashamed at what I just said but not letting it go none the less. I needed answers.

"It would explain all the strange text messages his been receiving lately."

Isa scooted closer to me on the couch and took my hands in hers.

"It's nothing like that Kate, Alex loves you, he would never be unfaithful to you."

I looked down. I hated questioning Alex's love for me but it would make sense if he found someone else, someone better. The fact was that I wasn't good enough for Alex and everyone knew it.

"How do you know that?"

"I just do." She spoke softly. "If anything, it's more to do with his fa-"

I looked up. Isabella shut up realising what she was just about to say.
"Did you just say 'his family'?" I asked.

Isabella moved away from me quickly as if scared that if she stayed close she might let something else spill out.

"Just forget I said that."

I stood up to stand in front of her. "Did he tell you something?" I asked.

As I said, I couldn't hide my jealousy. Even though Isa already knew Alex's family it still hurt that he confided in her about his personal issues rather than me.

"Goodness Kate, you're going to get me in trouble, please just let it go."

But I couldn't let it go, if Alex's family was bothering him, I at least deserved to know something, right?

"Isa, please just tell me."

"I can't, Kate. You know Alex's family has issues and he doesn't like to talk about it." She said but she was still avoiding eye contact meaning she was hiding something.

"He told you not to tell me, didn't he?" I asked folding my arms across my chest in anger.

Before she could open her mouth to say something else, I heard banging at the door.
Isa took that as an opportunity to walk away from me.
I followed still mad. What was it that Alex wanted to keep hidden from me? What secret was so huge that he thought he couldn't trust me with it.

"Isa, we are not-"

She opened the door and I gasped.

Isa's face went as white as a sheet. She didn't look as shocked as me, just merely taken a back like she just got a visit from a friend who didn't announce that they were coming over.

But she couldn't have known him. That was Jason Callahan, the Jason Callahan. The Jason Callahan who usually made headlines on the news.

Two men stood behind him, each in their own expensive ensembles but neither looking as good as Mr Callahan himself.

The chestnut haired man looked at her. There was, no doubt, recognition in his eyes.

"Jason." She said through gritted teeth.

The two men Jason was with took out guns and aimed them at Isabella. My hand flew to my mouth fighting a scream.

"Isabella, where is my brother?"