Brunch

Jason

I could see the change in Kate's behaviour already.

A smile was plastered on her face and she kept shooting me these frequent looks that I couldn't quite decipher.

Awe? Admiration? Pride?

What ever it was, it stirred something in me.
Something strange that I didn't know how to respond to.

Just like that his morning when she had straight up asked me what she was to me.

Callahan women never asked that question.
They were taught and trained well enough to know that they should never ask that question.
Most of the marriages in our family were arranged. Wives knew why they were chosen.
They knew their duties, they didn't ever have to ask such questions.

In all my years of education, being taught how to treat my future wife. Never disrespect her, always make sure she has what she needs.... heck! There was even a lesson on what to do if your wife refuses to sleep with you and how you still shouldn't disrespect her then.
But the emotional stuff... saying 'I love you' and all that nonsense. It was never covered simply because it didn't really matter. It wasn't the most important thing in a Callahan marriage.

I never told Bella that I loved her even though I did. All we had to do was look at each other and share a smile and we would know... or at least that's what I used to believe.

So you can imagine how unqualified I felt in this situation. Especially since I still didn't know what exactly Kate and I could be.

All I knew right now is that I just wanted to be close to her.

Couldn't it just be that simple? No words, just her comforting presence.

I heard her let out a gasp as the majestic double gates to my parents castle swung open.

I guess since I had grown up here, the splendor of it all had faded but it was still hard to ignore how people found this property more than amazing.

My great grandfather had spent most of his lifetime saving up for this land. Ferdinand Francisco Callahan. Basically the founder of the 'Callahan Dynasty'. Apparently he had a vision for an empire he could call his own. He wanted to live like a king in a castle so majestic, everyone royal in the world would look on in envy. He wanted a place for his family. A place where all his children and grandchildren would always be able to call home. A place where they could have everything they wanted and needed.

Well, he might have died right after he just managed to buy the land but indeed his vision had been brought to life.

Having had grown up in these walls, sometimes I forgot to really notice how amazing it was.

But my great grandfather truly had achieved something because I had never felt closer to my family than when we were here.

I had my first kiss with Bella when we snuck out for a midnight swim at the lake.

I remember how I had almost knocked Alex's teeth out at the tennis court when we were fooling around with the ball dispenser.

There was a motor racing track south west of the main house. I remember how Isabella, Alex and I had been taught to drive right there by Anthony. Even though he was only fifteen at the time. Ethan, who was only ten at the time threw a fit when we wouldn't let him behind the wheel.

Something tugged at my chest. Maybe not all the memories here were pleasant...

Greg drove us up to the front entrance which was guarded by four men.