Talk to me

"Are you going to talk to me Katie?" I heard Alex ask.

He stood across the room from me, he didn't dare move closer as if any sudden movements would break me.

When Jason left, I came up here and cried. I don't know if the tears represented fear, relief, sadness or anger but I just couldn't stop myself from letting the tears fall because I needed to do something.

What do you do when you realise the guy you've been living with for eighteen months has been lying to you that whole time.

What would you do if you found out the guy you love is actually a completely different person?

"Why didn't you tell me?" I finally spoke. I looked up at him. "Why did you lie to me all this time Alex? Or should I call you Harry?"

"Alexander is actually my middle name." He said. He took a step forward but immediately stopped his movement when he saw me flinch.

I saw the disappointment cloud his face.

"You're a Callahan." I said in disbelief. "How could you keep a secret like that from someone you've been with for this long?"

"Technically, I am a Robinson, that was my father's name. I'm a Callahan by blood. My mother is Frank Callahan's little sister."

I took in a deep breath trying to process it all.

"And Isa is part of all this too?"

He nodded. "Isabella is a very close family friend. I didn't lie about that part. Her family has been associated with the Callahans for a very long time."

Isabella, all this time I believed her story about her being some unprivileged girl who grew up in the bad part of Miami.

"But why? Why run away from your perfect family and pretend to be someone else?"
Alex looked at the ground and let out a humourless laugh.

"'Perfect' isn't the word I'd use to describe my family. Sure it seems that way when you see them in the media in their expensive clothes, wearing their priceless jewellery, attending their fancy parties in their fancy cars but behind closed doors, the Callahan are anything but perfect."

I shook my head. "That still doesn't justify what you did. All families are imperfect but you don't run away, you stay and live with it or at least try to change it if it's that bad. "

"You don't get it Kate!" He snapped. I was shocked at the change of his tone. He never talks to me that way. "Those people are not good people. You have no idea what they do."

"Of course I don't because you won't tell me." I retorted.

He looked at me seriously. "The last thing I'd want to do is get you involved."

I threw my hands up in exasperation. "Well I am. I got involved the first time you asked me out, I got involved the first time you kissed me, I got involved the first time you told me you loved me. You can't run away from your problems Alex and the more you hold off, the more they become and they don't only drag you down but the ones you care about too." I got off the bed and walked towards him until I was standing right in front of him. I cupped his cheeks and made him look down at me.

"If I'm going to be on that jet with you and Isabella tomorrow. I at least deserve to know what I'm getting into."

Alexs hazel eyes darkened. "I can promise you that you won't like the answer."

"And I can promise you that I can deal with it because in spite of what happened, I still love you a lot and I'm willing to work with whatever baggage you've got."