The Lake House

Jason

"So this is your brother's lake house?" I asked as I set down Kate's and my luggage.

She quickly locked the door behind her and leaned back on it.

"Yeah." She replied absentmindedly. "Could you help me make sure all the windows are locked." She spoke as she started on the windows in the room we were in.

"What are you so afraid of?" I chuckled. They're no other houses here for miles."

She bit her lip nervously. "Yeah but they're raccoons and um... They can be very pesky."

"I don't think raccoons know how to open windows, Kate." I told her.
She still looked tense.

"Could you just help me." She begged desperately.

I strode towards her. "Is something wrong?" I asked in concern.

She looked like she was trying to control her breathing. "Yes."

"What is it? What happened?" I asked.

"We just need to make sure we're safe first. So could you please help me... um... make sure all the windows are locked upstairs and I'll do the same here."

"Kate-"

She had already started walking away but she spun around abruptly.

"Please, Jason." She begged before rushing into another room.

I sighed. 

I was desperate to find out more but I could tell she was this close to going into full on panic.
And here I was thinking not pressing her about what was obviously wrong would help her ease up. But all it had done was make her bottle it all up even more until she finally blew.

"Jason, don't forget the screen windows!" She called out.

I figured complying with her orders was the only way I could get her to calm down enough to tell me what was going on.

Or not...

There was another way after all.

I rushed up the stairs and found my way into one of the rooms further down the hall.
I entered what I assumed was the master bedroom.

Everything was still in order. There were still clothes around. I guess they never got around to cleaning the place up. It must have been hard for her to have to handle all three of her family members deaths.

I fished my phone out and dialed the last number she had given me.

"Jason." She spoke in a croaky voice as if she had just woken up.

I shut the bedroom door.

"Hey, where's my information? Its been more than a week." I spoke.

"I'm sorry, Jasey but I can't talk right now. I'm busy."

"What do you mean? You work for me. I give you a target, you get me my information. That's how it works."

"I don't work for you, I work for your father." She hissed.

I furrowed my brows. "My father? What the heck are you talking about? You were assigned to me. Not him."

"Jason." Her voice cracked. She was scared. "Listen, I really can't talk."

"H." I growled. "What the heck does this have to do with my father? Tell me."

She hesitated. "I'm not stupid, Jason. You really think I'll rat on you father? He'll have me killed in a second. I'm not even supposed to be talking to you."