The Car Ride

"You're going to love it, Katie Kat." Anthony spoke. It's a great place, great neighbourhood. No pesky neighbours. Heck, I would move out there if I could myself." Anthony gushed about my new apartment.

I couldn't say I was exactly disappointed at not having to live with Jason anymore. I had lived alone before and I knew I could take care if myself. I was just surprised that Anthony trusted me enough not to make a run for it and Jason seemed to be complying as well.

Jason silently drove Anthony's car because Anthony had had a couple of drinks before we left courtesy of his last phone call with Farah.

So far Jason hadn't said a word about the whole moving thing at all and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.
But then again, he didn't seem particularly chatty with me.

"Wait, is this the same loft you got to get away from Farah?" Jason asked.

Anthony shrugged. "Maybe."

"Wait so this is your old place?" I asked. "Won't people figure it out?"

I remember a magazine with Mrs Callahan and Farah on top of it with the title 'Callahan interior design gurus'. I hadn't really looked at the story. The only reason I even noticed the magazine was because it was in front of a cooking magazine I wanted to get. But I already knew was to deduce from the story, Mrs Callahan and Farah were not to be messed with when it came to interior design. So weren't they in charge of decorating all the Callahan properties?

Anthony shook his head. "Nah, I used cash for everything and I barely even use it. Whenever I would think about going there, I felt this sense of paranoia as if Farah might send a PI after me or something."

"You just gotta love my darling sister in law." Jason muttered.

Anthony rolled his eyes at his little brother.

"Anyway, Katie Kat. There are going to be some rules for living alone. Don't engage yourself too much with the neighbours. Don't even say hi to them. No, in fact, avoid going out as much as possible. The last thing we want is the paparazzi or even worse, mother dearest, finding out where you live."

Great. I thought to myself. I was going from one prison to another. The only difference this time is that there was no warden.

"You will find all the supplies you need in the loft. And I've asked Zoila to be popping in once a week to tend to you if you need anything."

Zoila was a most welcome distraction, I didn't mind having her over.

"You're going to be alone most of the time but not to worry, I have the best alarm systems in place that will alert me if anyone tries to break in."

I furrowed my brows. "You? What about the police?" I asked.

"Trust me, I'm much more effective than the police. But if you're in any immediate danger, there's a gun stashed away in a safe."

Jason snorted out a laugh

"Her? With a gun? She can hardly look at one, much less use one."

I folded my arms across my chest and glared at him through the rearview mirror. I wanted  to say something in my defence but he was right. Guns were not for me at all. I hated guns. My father and my brother both kept guns and I constantly told them how much I disapproved.

"Oh no." Anthony cursed suddenly.

Jason groaned in annoyance from where he sat in the driver's seat of Anthony's Rolls-Royce.
"Don't tell me you have to use the bathroom. I told you to go after you downed my last bottle of scotch." Jason scolded him like he was talking to his son.