Change of Plans

Kate

We were late. Thanks to traffic.

Which meant spending extra awkward minutes in the SUV with Jason. He kept trying to push me on his father's cryptic message which also made our talk resurface. He wasn't buying my story about his father just warming up to me.
But by the time we got to Dean's new club, he became distracted with talking about security protocols with the other body guards.

By the time we managed to get into the building, posing for the paparazzi where necessary, we found the place already packed with different A list people, some still waiting for tables. But of course Jason was still given the VIP treatment and ushered to a sort of VIP lounge upstairs where we could be more comfortable.

The VIP lounge was different from the underground one in Dean's other club. In fact this restaurant was way different from the club. Dean seemed to be going for a more sophisticated theme, I guess. It was less 'party' ans more sit down, eat gourmet food, catch up, have a drink or two and enjoy the music.

Everything had already been done, the cutting of the bowl and the whole big reveal so all we had to do really was meet the owner.

Dean was in the VIP room as expected. It was a wide sound proof glass area. I guess it was so that the people down who couldn't make it up could see what they were missing out on.

Some soft Jazz music played and I noticed most of the people around were dressed mostly formally.
Dean was entertaining a group of men in suits sitting around a booth.

A sophisticated looking lady I recognized immediately sat next to him, laughing at his jokes with the rest.

Carly Monroe.

Alex's ex fiancée.

I don't know why looking at her, this flawless and impeccably beautiful young woman sparked some sort of... was it envy in me.

Even if I had never seen them together. The idea of it haunted me. Both good looking. Both powerful and influential. They would be the ultimate power couple.

Would he have fallen in love with her?
And why did the thought of that make me so so jealous?

"Callahan! Miss King!" Dean spotted us. He got up and walked over to us.
"I'm so glad you made it." He exclaimed.

"Yeah, well, it wasn't up to me." Jason responded.

"Charming." Dean muttered. He turned his attention to me. "I'm especially glad you made it, Miss King."

My attention was still focused on Carly that I barely heard Dean.

"Oh, yes. Nice to see you too." I replied absent mindedly.

"So what do you think about my new place?" Dean asked.

"I wouldn't expect a place like this from you, Archbald. Where are the half naked girls and the loud music?" Jason asked.

Dean smirked. "Consider this the reinvented me."

Jason scoffed. "A leopard can't change its spots."

Dean raised his hands in mock surrender.

"Fine. You got me. I'm doing this to impress a girl."

Those words are what finally stopped me from craning my neck to see more of Carly. My head snapped to Dean.

He had an innocent expression on his face but his eyes were clearly fixed on me.

I turned to look at Jason. He clenched his fists and openly glared at Dean.

What was Dean doing? Did he want Jason to get mad and hit him?