The Breakup

I wringed my hands together nervously as I stated at my reflection.

The make up artist had just finished up with the dramatic look Betsy had ordered I have.

I looked around and the other girls were spread across the room all going about their business.

Some of them still cast glares my way no and then but they were the least of my concern right now.

Dean had just texted me telling me to wait for his signal.

How was I supposed to notice any signal back here. We were back stage in the same grand hall where Mr Callahan's birthday had been thrown. Backstage being Mr Callahan's private room turned into a place for all of us to get ready. Make up artists, tailors, models, everyone was wandering around. And of course Diane and Lisa were here too yelling at whoever wasn't doing their bidding.

I traced the bandaid on my finger and sucked in a deep breath. I had cut myself when cleaning up the vase that I had broken when I hit Dean.

Dean, I didn't even know if I could trust him.

I should've called Anthony the minute he left and told him everything that had happened. But something told me not to.

I mean considering how distant he has been acting lately...

What if Dean was right? What if he knew something about the Callahans and what if there was a reason they were so distant from me lately?

I have no idea how he found out about my real identity. Sure he could have just met someone who knew me and was trying to trick me... but something in me told me to be sure first.

I felt a cold hand touch my shoulder and I jumped in fright.

I looked up and saw Miranda looking down at me with a smile.

"Hey there jumpy." She greeted. She gave me a small smile. "Nervous?"

"Kinda." I replied instantly.

She sunk into the chair next to me. "Well you better get rid of those nerves. Wouldn't want you to do something embarrassing on stage like you know... throwing up or God forbid, tripping and face planting in front of everyone. Especially since you're the headliner."

"Gee, Miranda, thanks for the encouragement. I'm totally not nervous anymore." I spoke sarcastically.

Miranda bit her lip. "Sorry. I made it worse, didn't I?"

"A little bit."

She placed her hand on mine. "Sweetie, I know the media has had a lot to say about you. But forget all that. You are Diane Johnson's freaking headliner. The Callahans didn't do that for you. You did that on your on."

I nodded and sucked in a shaky breath. "Right."

It didn't really help with my nerves. Mostly because I wasn't entirely nervous about the show.

She dug into her designer purse and took out a copper flask. "Here. This always makes me feel better."

I shook my head furiously. "I don't-"

Her eyes widened. "What? You don't drink? How in the world are you with Jason? Oh well I guess that's not a thing anymore." She spoke with a sympathetic look.

"What?" I asked in shock.

Her eyes widened. "Oh no... um... I thought he would have told you... I wasn't supposed to-"

"He's breaking up with me?" I asked. My voice cracked.

My heart raced and I felt as if I was crumbling.
That's why he hadn't called me or texted?
I had been tossed away like another of his one night stands.