He winked down at me. “That’s why you love me.”

“Whatever helps you sleep at night.”

The bus started to veer off toward the turn to the stop. I wrapped an arm around Niall to keep from rolling off the couch and landing on the floor, earning a wink from the Louis. I felt the urge to flip him off again, but resisted and settled for rolling my eyes.

The tires eased to a stop and soon we were all scrambling out the door. The sun had gotten a lot hotter since we left this morning, making me glad I had worn a tank top and shorts. I flipped my head upside down and pulled my hair into a messy top knot, shaking my bangs out of my eyes when I stood back up.

“Kora, what’s that on you neck?” Dani asked, raising one of her perfect eyebrows at me.

“It’s a hickey, okay!” I groaned, hearing Louis burst into laughter a few feet away as he ran to the open field of grass behind the restroom area.

Danielle chuckled. “Don’t be so flustered by it, Kor. It just entertains Lou more.”

I sighed, knowing she was right. I felt a pair of arms slide around my waist, then Niall nuzzled his face against my neck. I smiled at my feet as I felt his lips brush lightly against my skin.

“What’s wrong?” Nialler asked, his lips brushing my neck when he spoke. “You look bothered.”

He knew me so well. “I’m just a little worried about my mom coming back. I know I told Riley to tell her to basically bring it, but I’m scared. She was able to take me before.”

“You have all of us to back you up, love. You won’t ever be alone. Plus you have our security now.”

“But legally-”

“Legally your mom should be arrested for abuse. And your dad, too. And your step-dad for assault.”

I smiled again.

“What are you smiling about?” He asked, brushing some loose hairs away from my face.

“You’re so protective. I love it.”

He kissed my cheek. “And I love you so don’t worry about your mental family.”

“Come on, lovebirds!” Zayn called out, running up the hill.

Niall bent down a little in front me so I could hop on his back, then tucked his arms under my legs and took off running. I tightened my arms around his neck and laughed as he sprinted into the grass with the other boys, bouncing me up and down on his back.

Louis tackled us as soon as we got close enough, knocking us both to the ground. After we rolled across the grass and Niall made sure I was okay, we both jumped Louis. He caught me on his back and took off running, trying to keep Niall away from me. This soon turned into a full blown game of human keep away as I was passed from boy to boy and the others tried to block Nialler. I could stop laughing while I hopped from one back to another, ending up bridal style in Zayn’s arms as he grabbed me from Liam and just missed getting tagged by Niall. That was the rule; if Niall touched you, you were out. Danielle and Harry were already disqualified and had to just sit and watch. It was when I was trying to hop onto Louis’ back again when Niall grabbed me around the waist and spun me in a circle, knocking us off balance. He landed on top of me in the grass, catching himself before he smashed into my face.

“Gotcha,” he said, pecking me on the lips.

*****

I ran offstage after my solo for the LA concert and ran straight back to my dressing room, barely pausing to give Niall a quick kiss as he ran onstage. Danielle was waiting to help me into the costume and give me water, forcing me to sit down and catch my breath.

“How’d I do?” I panted, guzzling more water.

Dani took the bottle away from me. “Slowly, Kora.” She gave me the water back and I drank it at a more normal pace. “From what I saw on the monitor you did amazing. Smashed it as always.”

“Sweet. Okay, we gotta get up there.”

Danielle grabbed my hand and we walked back up the stairs and took our place on the side of the stage. Niall waved at me as they finished up their song, then suddenly all the boys came running off stage. The crew started changing the props onstage, while the boys changed and Danielle and I made sure everyone had their ties on and their shoes tied. After we were sure they were all set, all of us made our way to our places.

“Love you,” Niall kissed my head.

“You too,” I smiled up at him when I sat in my chair.

The music started and the lights came back up. Like always, before I knew it, it was almost the end. I climbed up onto the table, glancing at the audience before I started my tricks. That’s when I saw her, right in the front row.

Clara.

I lost focus and was barely able to hold my handstand, then when I did my flip everything went wrong. I forgot what I was doing and the landing got screwed up. Somehow I ended up landing on top of my left foot instead of landing flat on my feet in plie like I normally would and the entire audience gasped as I fell to my knees. I screamed when I heard/felt a snap in the back of my ankle and pain shot through my foot.

The music stopped as I sat there hugging my leg to my chest and laid on my back, unable to put pressure on my foot. I couldn’t stop the tears from leaking down my face, the pain in my ankle increasing with each passing moment. Everything seemed like it was in slow motion even though I knew it wasn’t.

Niall appeared above me, his face contorted in fear and concern. “Kora! Kora, what happened?!”

“Clara… Foot… Landed… Snapped… I can’t…” I got out through the sobs.

“Call an ambulance!” Niall shouted, scooping me up in his arms and running me off the stage and away from the questioning crowd.

I can’t believe this is happening! Was the only thought that broke through the pain that was clouding my mind.